10- Girl On Fire

2 years later...

Do you ever stop for a second, in your busy and chaotic life, and think?

How did I make it here?

Why am I in this position?

What is my purpose?

If you do, good for you!

But, for me...

I simply didn't have the time to do so.

I step into the elevator and enjoy the short amount of silence until I reach my floor.

The doors of the little cubicle open and I'm graced by the presence of my assistant.

Aspyn.

A beautiful petite woman in her early thirties, blonde hair, small glasses, and a coffee mug at hand.

"Good morning, Miss Aubert." She nodded in greeting and offered me the mug.

We made our way to my office, under the curious glances of my other employees.

Aspyn opened the door, I placed my purse on the desk and gave her my coat to hang it.

"How many times did I tell you to address me as Ella, Aspyn?" I reprimanded her, taking a seat on my office chair and turning on my computer.

"That wouldn't be appropriate in front of my colleagues, miss. I'll call you by your name when I swing by your house tonight. Now, we're on your firm and you're the CEO. I'm just your employee." She declared, pulling out her iPad.

I rolled my eyes.

"What do we have today miss I-only-live-by-the-rules?" I asked, sipping on my coffee.

Mmm......delicious.

"Well, you have a meeting with the board at 09:00, you need to sign some paperwork and hand them to me before 11:00, the firm's attorney requests to see you this afternoon and the IT department needs to hire two new employees, they request your approval." She started. "Oh, and most importantly, the residential rehabilitation center called yesterday." She said, looking at me.

"Why? Is Damien okay?" I questioned, concerned.

"I don't know, they said he wants to see you." She shrugged her shoulders.

I sighed and massaged my temples.

"Okay, here." I handed her my loft keys. "Send Brandon to the loft and tell him to bring me a red file. It's on the kitchen counter." I instructed her.

"I can go myself if you'd like?" She suggested but I declined.

"No, you need to book me a flight to Paris, for next week." I began. "I'll take the next two weeks off, I want you to email me every couple of days and update me on the situation here. I expect to find everything in order after I come back." I declared, my voice calm and firm.

"Understood." She nodded curtly and dismissed herself.

I relaxed back on my chair and contemplated the New-York skyline.

Will he be at the wedding?

••

Brandon parked in front of one of New-York's well known coffee shops.

"Thank you, Brandon. You can go back home earlier today, I no longer require your assistance." I smiled at him.