Chapter 2

Emily POV

90 years ago....

It was a cool, crisp and humid day at my house, the place I called home for fourteen years.

I was sitting on my front porch, listening to the cows moo, seeing cars drive by. Yes, I used to live in the country.

Also on my front porch, I was checking my phone( as usual) and I was drinking some cold lemonade.

When I was sitting on the porch, my mom came out and said.

"Hi, Em."

"Hi mom."

"The country breeze, sure does feel nice on your skin, doesn't it?"

"Very much, yes", I told her and she smiled.

"Well, I'll leave you alone, I hope that you enjoy this weekend, because you have school on Monday."

"I will mom!"

"I love you Emily."

" I love you too mom."

And then she walked back inside our house with a smile on her face.

Monday at school

At my school, the sun was shining bright, my friends were outside talking at my beautiful school's picnic tables.

I saw them, I waved to them and went to my locker five minutes later.

Before school started, I dropped by my teachers that morning before school took charge of me for a while.

As I saw my teachers they weren't the normal teachers that you'd see at a normal school, because in each of them I saw hope in them.

And 30 minutes later the bell rings and I am summoned to my first class of the day, and that is Algebra I.

Ten minutes into the class, the earth starts to shake, and I hold onto a desk for support and duck for cover.

Everybody in my class does the same and I soon realize that the earth isn't shaking, but rumbling with a force so powerful that anybody could be crushed by its force.

And then the war has started.