#12 Katherine~Strike

You smile as you read the paper, drinking in every word. The news that there was going to be a strike thrilled you. Years of you and your family being treated unfairly, especially your sibling who's arms are covered in scars from the machines, made this strike even more important to you.

On the day of the strike, you show up in Newsies Square. Just by being there you feel more empowered like no one had any power over you.

That is until you see the young woman who is talking with the newsboys. Her smile is so bright that you forget the reason why you're here. It feels like the only reason you have to be here is so that you can talk to her. As soon as she leaves the boy she was talking to, you rush over to her, eager to talk to her.

"Hi," you greet.

She smiles and shakes your hand. "Thank you so much for coming. We're going to show my father and the rest of the city that we aren't going to take this."

"Your father?"

She blushes and looks down. "Pulitzer. He's my father."

You grab her hand. "Why are you blushing?"

"I-um-well," she stutters.

You raise your eyebrows.

"I really like you, and I don't want you to think that I'm some kind of obnoxious rich girl who doesn't care about anyone else," she mutters quickly.

You smile. "I really like you, too, and I don't think that about you."

"Really?"

"Really."

She engulfs you in a hug and doesn't leave your side for the rest of the day, even walking you home. Once you get home, you lay in your and your sister's bed and smile, thinking of the beautiful Katherine.