Phase 7

The next several of weeks and days, I stayed at home receiving various marriage proposals already.

"Wow, would you look at that Kathyrne? This is probably the most marriage proposals I have seen in my life at one time." My mother holds my hand, "It must be because of how beautiful you are, inside and out." she smiles at me this time.

"I suppose so mother." I smile back.

Recently, my mother's health has been improving well. She seems more open and happy instead of being all quiet and so. I am not quite sure the reason why she has become like this, though I am suspecting that it is because of this marriage ordeal that is going on currently.

It has been almost a month since I have last spoken to Zark. The deal that we are supposed to meet is in 2 days. I haven't really thought about what I should do yet.

Going with him, means abandoning my mother who in my opinion cannot survive without someone beside her.

Especially if uncle found out what I had done, he would punish my mother instead. A horrible pig of a person for sure.

Though staying here, would mean that I would have to live under the rule of my uncle. I have almost no power, though many of those around and under me see me as if I am standing on top of a golden mountain. That I should not have one complaint about my life.

This is why I do not like living in a higher social status. It only makes things worse overtime no matter how nice it may look from the outside. From not having to worry about food or money, clothing, a home, working, having glorious balls thrown almost every weekend and sipping tea all day long. Though that is only the social aspect of this social status. In reality it is a lot more work to try to keep up with such demands and expectations that are thrown around like rocks. No matter what social status you are, there are going to be different hardships that cannot be easily compared to.

When evening comes, uncle decides to pay a visit asking about the different marriage proposals I have received for the past half of the month.

"So Kathyrne, have you chosen any men yet? They are all suitable as I had them checked before sending them your way." He smokes a cigar while sitting across from me at the dining table.

"No, I haven't decided yet. It is of course a decision that one should not make carelessly, thus I am taking my time to choose one." I say courteously.

He scoffs, "It doesn't matter who you choose, either way you'll be sent off to living with them. You can finally be someone proper is all that matters. Especially for Omelia here whom I'm suspecting won't live much longer anymore."

That was when I became angered.

"How could you say something like that about mother?!?! She is not going to pass any time from now! How rude of you to say something like that!" I raise my voice.

This time my uncle looks at me in anger. "What is with your attitude. For a woman you should just shut up and let the men speak. Your mother is going to die soon. That is the truth whether you like it or not!" He speaks with rage in his tone, though he isn't yelling at me yet.

I raise my hand up and slap my uncle in the face. I am astonished at what my own body had just done, yet I do not feel an ounce of regret from doing so.

My uncle then gets up and is about to slap me back when my mother comes in between us and takes the slap for herself. She falls onto the ground.

"MOTHER!" I scream and I help her up.

"You damned bitch! I SHOULD HAVE NEVER GIVEN YOU THE CHANCE TO MEET ANYONE AT THE BALL! I SHOULD HAVE THROWN YOU OUT TOO THE MOMENT YOUR FATHER DIED AND THAT I TOOK THE TITLE FOR MYSELF. I HAVE GIVEN YOU EVERYTHING AND YET YOU DARE TREAT ME LIKE THIS?!!" He roars at me.