Chapter 44 - The Barn

Hey guys!!! Hope you enjoy this chapter and please remember to follow, vote, share, and comment!
- Carly
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up early that morning to the smell of cooking eggs. I quickly got changed and headed out. If I didn't my stomach might start and eat itself.

"I'm starved." I said as I exited my tent. Carol turned and smiled and handed me a plate of eggs. I thanked her and sat on the ground next to Daryl and saw carol came over and gave the remaining eggs to him. He smiled at her and thanked her and I was surprised. My brother is almost always silent with theses people. I looked over to Carl and he was already looking at me and smiling. I smiled back and I felt Daryl's boot dig I to my side as he kicked me. I looked up and he raised his eyebrows at me. I rolled my eyes and went back to eating.

"Um guys?" Glenn said and I looked up at him. Everyone was looking at him now.

"The... The barns full of walkers." He said and I knew that was what he was talking about. My brother spoke up.

"Wha?" Daryl said and we were all up on our feet in a matter of seconds. I made sure I had a few knifes and I followed as they walked down to the barn. As I got closer, I could hear the moans. Shane looked in and flinched back as a walker got close to the hole he was looking through. They started yelling and I slowly inched my way forward. I was a few inches from the door and I put my hand on it. I looked through a crack in the wood and a walker pushed against the doors. I yelped and Shane grabbed my arm and pulled me back. I pulled my knife out of the belt and got ready.

I was basically wondering around after that and I saw Carl and Lori talking.

"This place. It could be a home." Carl said and I nodded in unison. He right. It already is a home. Anywhere with these people and my brother is my home. Rick and Lori and Glenn and Dale and T and even Andrea. They are the family I never had. Lori leaned in a hugged her son and I smiled.

I sat down next to him and asked Lori if I could learn too and she said yes. We sat down for a while and it was math. I had always been good at math but I always used mental math so I always got yelled at for not showing my work. This came in handy because there was only one notebook. Lori would explain the problem and I would do it mentally and hold it until Carl got the answer. She would take his book and ask me and I would say it and she would confirm it or say it was wrong.

Soon the lesson was over and Carl and I went off to walk around the camp. We just wondered around. We found this spot and Carl and I had a book to read. We sat there for a good long while until Shane came round the corner.

"Hey Shane? Can I talk to you for a sec?" Carl asked and I looked up from my book to see Carl standing next to Shane.

"You okay?" Shane whispered.

"Yeah. I know that you think that Sophia is dead, and that we should stop looking for her, but that's... But that's bullshit." Carl said and I was surprised he knew that word, even if it's not even that bad.

"Hey man, watch you mouth." Shane said calmly and Carl kept on going.

"We're gonna stay here until we find her." Carl said. I am actually impressed by this boy. I didn't know he had that in him.

"Is that what you think we should do?" Shane asked.

"It's what I know we should do." Carl said rather quickly. Shane thought about this for a minute then shrugged.

"Then we stay. That means we gotta do whatever we gotta do to make that happen." He said.

"I'll pick up on chores." Carl said and then Lori called him over.

"Why don't you go see what you mom wants." Shane said.

"Hey Carl, I don't wanna hear you talk like that again." Shane said as Carl walked away. Carl nodded and said he'll be right back. I continued reading my book and noticed Shane was staring at me. I looked up and he had that weird look in his eye again. He licked his lips and walked away quickly. God, he is so weird.

We walked up to the house and Carl sat with Beth and Patricia and I sat on the banister.

Everyone started asking questions and Daryl and Carol came back from wherever they were. Shane came back and started handing out the guns. He handed me mine and I looked at him like he was crazy.

"Now I want you to take this. You keep your mother and you little girlfriend over there safe. You do whatever you have to make sure they are safe." Shane said as he looked over to me. Carl started to take the gun but Lori pushed him out of the way.she started yelling at him but was interrupted by T yelling "oh Shit!"

We all turned around and saw Jimmy, Hershel, and Rick bringing walkers into the barn. Shane ran after them and everyone tried to keep up. I was one of the fastest other than Shane so I started yelling for him to stop. When he reached Rick he was yelling at him. Hershel asked why we had our guns but his question was ignored.

There was yelling and screaming and I didn't like the fact that there was walkers here so I ran back up to the house to get my gun. I came back as fast as I could and when I reached the gate again, I heard a few shots ring out. Shane ran to the barn doors and tried to open them. I screamed for him to stop and told my group to stay down and behind Lori.

Shane broke the doors and the walkers started pouring out. I ran next to my brother as he shot. I watched Hershel and Maggie and I ran over to them and hugged them and tried hard to comfort them. Soon all the walkers were dead and Shane was about to go in and see if there was any more when we heard a single moan. A walker walked into the sunlight.

We saw its rainbow shirt. It's pants that I remembered were too big. It's shirt was pulled to the side to reveal a bite to the shoulder. I knew who it was. We all did.

Sophia.