Chapter 9:

CHAPTER 9:

Maybe the time has finally come for this nightmare to end.

I sit beside his dull hospital bed, in the last place I would never want his presence to be about. Willie sleeps peacefully into his dreams. Nick sits behind me in the window seal. The thought of him there with me, sends adrenaline through my veins. I reach over to Willie, and gently place my hand on his warm, strong arm. Immediately, my heart sinks with love.

"Willie." I shake him gently. "Willie, wake up."

Willie moans as he slowly stirs awake, escaping his dreams into the world. His bright, beautiful blue eyes fling open. He blinks a couple times, letting his eyes adjust.

His hair is messy, but he still looks gorgeous. "Hello." I whisper softly, a smile spreading across my face. I stand up and sit down next to him, peering down at him. His face softens in delight. He sits up, leaning back on his pillows. I lean forward and embrace him in my arms.

In that moment, my nightmare has been conquered. Destroyed. Finally. I have awakened, from what seems like eternity. It's no longer haunting me and taunting me with my every move. My heart no longer aches with the hollowness and pain that once ached within its every pattern of beat. When I let go of his familiar neck, I feel as if I really haven't. He's finally here. He's finally okay.

. . . But, he's not. He's in the hospital. In another town.

"What happened, Willie?" I whisper. "Why did you leave?" my heart still longs with the pain from when he disappeared.

Willie gives me a half confused, half amused smile. "Leave? I only was going to check out this college an older friend recommended to me. My parents wanted me to go see if I was interested. Why would I have left?" his boyish smile remains on his face.

"What?" I whispered softly, barely audibly. How? But, the letter. . . It. . . wasn't from him? My mind swims with utter confusion and my stomach begins to do the same. My heart aches and my head throbs with my racing heartbeat. Nick suddenly turns to me, giving me a questioning look. The muscles in my face make my skin crinkle in bewilderment as I begin to ponder and let my mind devourer what was happening.

Willie leans forward and kisses my cheek lightly. His lips linger near my face.

I've missed Willie's soft kisses, but now I sit here, thinking I miss Nick's warm, comforting hand against my own. . .

Willie retreats back against his pillows. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you, too. Very much." I glance over at Nick. He's got one leg up in the window, knee bent and leaning on it, staring out into the world outside.

"But, are you alright, now, Willie?"

I need to not worry about Nick, maybe he was just like that because I was so hurt over Willie. I hope that was all. . .

"Yes, I'm fine." Willie peers down at his hand. "I was very lucky, they say. If it hadn't been for that tree, I'd be dead." he looks up and his blue crystals stare longingly into mine. Then, he snickers. "My life was saved by a stupid tree!" He shakes his head and turns away. "I guess I am lucky."

I lean forward and kiss his cheek. "And, I'm so glad your here." I bite back the salty sea water contained within my eyes. No more tears, I tell myself. No more.

Nick turns his head slightly. "You have no idea." he says. When I look back at him, he's looking thoughtfully bored out the window again. My eyes soften as my heart longs his friendship.

Just then, there is a knock on the door. I hadn't even got to ask for answers to my unspoken questions that have been pounding in my head for so long. Nick starts to get up, when Willie stops him.

"Nope, I got it, man." he says, putting his hand up. "Yes? Come in."

The door slowly creeps open and a nurse carefully pops her head in. Thankfully, though, it's not that nurse from before. This one's brunette.

She walks over to the bed with a smile on her face. "I didn't know you had company. Is this. . . " She glances up and looks from me to Nick and back again. "Family?" she says, throwing Willie a look.

"No, this is my beautiful girlfriend," he gestures towards me and takes my hand. "Katrina."

My face flushes.

"Ah, hello." she smiles. I return a smile.

"And, this is her friend, Nick." he gestures Nick.

"Hello." the nurse smiles a little too friendly at Nick. He says hello and gives her a quick smile before turning back to the window.

"And how are you feeling today, Mr. William." she comes towards him and grabs the cart nearby.

"Much better."

"Good, good! Now, I hate to have to do this but--" she turns to Nick and I. "I'm sorry, I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

My heart reluctantly sinks. I stand up and give Willie a quick kiss and hug. He kisses me back. Nick and I wave and say our goodbyes, and leave. On our way back, we pass a small waiting room. Nick turns in and sits down on the two-person bench. I follow and sit down next to him.

"Do you want to stay and wait or do you want to just leave?" his voice is comforting.

I stare down at the floor. "No, I want to leave." I say, slowly leaning on Nick. I'm so confused and heartbroken, I just want to go home.

"Okay." Nick stands up, and instead of offering my his hand, he just grabs mine tightly, as if that was what was keeping our friendship.

Nick leads me out of the hospital and into his car. I numbly stagger beside him as he holds tightly onto my hand. When we reach the car, he opens the door for me and I obliviously slide inside. He carefully closes the door, making a soft this sound as the metal closes against the rubber seal. I wait in silence, dazed in numbness.

A few seconds later, Nick opens the driver's door and slides into his seat. M gaze falls on his hands as he snaps his seatbelt in place. My gaze follows up his arms and meets his as he's about to turn to the steering wheel. His eyes soften and he reaches over to pat my hand.

"It's okay." Nick whispers softly.

In that moment, I realize that it's still not okay. It's still not clear. My nightmare is still here, surrounding me, and captivating me within.

In that moment, I unwillingly explode in tears, ones I've been forcing myself to holding in.

What's wrong with me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gah, talk about an emotional rollercoaster here! But, ya know, what can I say? She's all messed up with Willie being in the hospital, and feeling for Nick, and the letter, and blah.

So, anyways, thanks for reading! Please vote/comment! I appresiant it!!

Hmm... not much to talk about. Lol.

Oh! I'm beginning to write another story, since this one's kinda... Well, to say the least, I have a MAJOR case of Writer's-Block, soo yeah. I'm pretty much stranded, at the moment in terms of this story...

I'll leave now.

~ Byess. (:

Oops, almost forgot ! Song of the day: :D Hmm... Maroon 5: She will be loved. OMG, I FREAKING LOVE THAT SONG >.< Lol, link to the rightio -----> :3