Chapter 4:

Yay! Chapter Four! le chapitre quatre! (Lol, gettin' some French in there!) Ha, anyways, happy readings! Please don't forget to vote and comment!

P.S. And my YouTube page too. Dang, I really need to get working on that. :/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 4:

I was living a fairytale, now I’m living a nightmare.

I do stay for a little while, curled up on the couch trying to hold back tears as I think about Willie. If he wasn’t going to tell me anything about why he left, why would he bother writing a letter? I guess to reassure me. But, it didn’t really work. I still don’t understand. I miss him so much. I wish he would just walk through the door, and all my nightmares would be over. But, the minutes are passing and Willie isn’t appearing in the doorway. I am not hearing his voice. I’m not hearing his whispers. His melody. My song. Nothing. Just the racing beat of my fractured heart.

Soon, dinner is on the table and I am surrounded by William’s family. I feel loved. I feel accompanied. Yet, I feel lonely. Willie’s not there with me. He’s not secretly holding my hand when we’re supposed to be eating. His hand isn’t holding mine as we pray thankfulness to God. Instead, we add an extra plea that Willie comes home, and is all right.

“Hey, Kate? Is everything okay? You’re not answering you phone? Please, call me back.”

I listen to the voicemail from Nick, one of my best friends. It is getting dark and I am heading out of this neighborhood I know so well, and heading to my own. It’s almost completely dark. I look down at my phone. I decide I should better call Nick back, it’s very late and I am all alone. He would make great company. I dial his number and hear the hum of the dial tone.

“Hello?”

“Hey. . . “

‘Hey, Kate.”

“I’m on my way home. I’m on Luckland Street.”

“Okay. Where have you been? Why haven’t you been answering your phone?”

I don’t say anything in return. I don’t know what to say. I’m silent.

“What’s wrong, Kate? I know something’s up.” Nick whispers softly into my ear.

I sigh. I don’t want to start crying again, but I feel I am about to. I don’t want to worry Nick. I’ve already caused much dismay to Willie’s family this evening; I don’t want to bother Nick as well.

Unfortunately, I am afraid I cannot stop myself.

Tears start flowing. My voice starts cracking.

“Kate?! Okay, that’s it. I’m coming out there. You’re on Luckland Street, right? Stay where you are.”

I can hear Nick grabbing his coat and running through the house. I can hear him calling to his mom that he’s leaving, as he slams the door and continues to run.

In my bewildered state earlier at the academy, I must have forgotten my coat. I stand there freezing in the cool, crisp autumn air with tears streaming down my cheeks.

Within no time, Nick has turned the corner and skidded to a stop. He hangs his head down and leans forward on his knees, trying to catch his breath. His dark-brown hair, just cut at the ear though it hangs slightly over his forehead, is sticking up in spikes from running.

Though I had been practically paralyzed from the moment Nick declared me to stay where I was, I slowly move towards him.

There, I've done it. I've troubled Nick tonight too with my foolishness.

I place my hand on his back while he continues to catch his breath. He ran quite a long distance in such a very short amount of time.

He looks up at me and stands up straight. "What's wrong, Kate?" he's still breathing heavily. "What's wrong?"

Though my hand is still on his shoulder, I take my hand away, and lower it to my side.

Nick looks me up and down. “Where’s your coat?” I shrug. Nick sighs and unzips his coat. He takes it off, and gently drapes it over my shoulders. “There.”

I sniffle and whisper, “Thank you.”

Nick looks up to the sky. The moon is glistening in the dim twilight sky. The chilly breeze wisps my hair. Nick’s once spiky hair is now settling down. He smiles down at me with that beautiful moon behind him, and I swear he looks even better.

“Come on.” He nods in the direction of his house. “I want to know what’s making you so upset.”

We walk in silence back to Nick’s house. With the wind at our backs it doesn’t feel so cold, and once we enter the warmth of the house, it seems as if we are thawing. Nick’s mom welcomes me along with his little sister, Annie, who runs up to me and hugs me. I pick up the little five-year-old girl as Nick leads me into the vacant living room. His father must still be at work. His mother leaves us to go clean up in the dining room and Nick shoos Annie away out of the room.

So, there I sit. In another boy’s home. And Willie still isn’t back. He’s not here. I’m silent as Nick sits across from me in the chair. I watch him silently as he slowly stands up and walks over to me. He sits down beside me and looks me straight in the eye. He’s trying to read me; I know. We’ve known each other so long. He knows me too well.

“It’s okay,” he cautiously takes my hand. “Tell me.”

I look down at his hand on my own. This isn’t right. I shouldn’t be here. It’s another déjà vu from just before. I will have to say the words I dread the most once again. I have been trying with all of me to wake from this nightmare, but I’m not. I can’t. because it’s not a dream. I look at Nick. He would understand. He would be the only one I know who would know what to do. . .

So, I swallow my fears and tears, and tell him my reality.

“Nick,” I stamper. “It’s Will. He’s . . . gone. . .”

There. I’ve stated my horror once again. Though I have been saying it many times in my head, it still hasn’t sunk in.

Nick looks at me astonished. He doesn’t just keep his hand placed on my own now, he takes up my hand and squeezes it tightly. “Oh, Kate, I’m so sorry. Where is he? What’s happened?”

I look at him; his eyes are shocked and sympathetic. “I don’t know,” I say slowly. “He left me a letter, but it’s so vague.”

“Can—can I see the letter?”

I almost forget that the letter is still in my pocket. I take it out and nod my head, gently handing the small blue envelope to Nick. He takes it and reads the letter carefully; I can tell, he has that look on his face when he’s focusing on something. The letter that broke my heart even more. No more tears, I tell myself, I couldn’t possibly have any more tears to cry. . .

I suppose, I do.

When Nick is done reading Willie’s note, his face is pure confusion. “I don’t understand,” he says, looking at me. “It doesn’t make any sense.”

“I know.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, now there's Nick. :3 heheheeh. Just a Prince Charming helping a Damsel in Distress. XD Lol.

Anywho, thanks for reading!

Today's song: Carly Rae Jepsen: Call Me Maybe. Haha, I love the music video. Link to the right ---> ;3

Au revoir!