Four

Melody had always hated flying for a few reasons. One was that surviving a plane crash was incredibly unlikely. The other was that there was such limited space around and that meant she was mostly confined her seat the entire time. That left her too much time to think. 

Here she was, on a first-class flight to Wakanda to the next three weeks. She'd always believed the country was rather primitive but she and the rest of the world had been shocked to discover it's extreme technological advancements. Some outsiders had been invited to witness them, but Melody had not expected to be one of them. That experience alone was almost too much to bear, but when she thought of the real reason for her visit, she neared a full-scale anxiety attack. 

One thing at a time, she demanded to herself as she walked off the plane, following the signs in the glistening airport to the baggage claim. It's not like this is massive surgery, you're just here as a consult. Kind of. Right now, Melody was sure she would've taken the massive surgery over what she was doing now. At least in a surgery, she knew what she was supposed to do. Facing a reunion with her super-solider ex after two years apart? To say she was out of her element was a gross understatement. She had no idea how this was supposed to go.

Heart hammering, Melody walked through the airport, pausing only a moment to stop a kiosk and get a coffee. It wasn't a brand she recognized but the throbbing headache building behind her temples made it irrelevant. It was caffeine and that made it perfect for her. Sharon said there'd be a car for me, she thought as sipped at her iced coffee and made her down the escalator. The metal , she noticed was unfamiliar. Shiny like stainless steel, but Melody had been around that material her entire life and this wasn't it. Vibranium, she was nearly sure of it. I am not in New York anymore. 

Stepping off the elevator, Melody scanned the crowd of people, noting the vibrant colors and patterns in clothing and more vibranium across the building. The thing which drew her eye most though, was a sign that bore her name and though she'd never met the person holding it, she did know that face. She'd seen it on the news several times by now.

King T'Challa was waiting for her, beside him stood a tall, severe looking woman with a gold choker and shaved head who looked at Melody with apprehension as she approached. "Doctor Frasier," the young king said, his voice deep, accented and rich. "Welcome to Wakanda."

"Thank you Your Highness."

"Your Majesty," the woman corrected and Melody was reminded sharply of Chief Prescott. Whoever this woman was, she was a commander, same as he'd been.

"Your Majesty," she corrected instantly. "Sorry, I've never met royalty before."

T'Challa smiled. "It's alright. Doctor Frasier, this is Okoye, a trusted advisor and general."

"Nice to meet you both."

"Come," T'Challa said, "you must be hungry, we can stop to grab you dinner before we-."

"If it's all the same, I'd rather just go right the hotel. I came here to do a job and I'd like to get started." And she was  pretty sure her nervous stomach wouldn't be able to keep anything down other than coffee.

Both Wakandans regarded her with something akin to curiosity before T'Challa spoke. "Miss Carter was quite insistent that you should eat first."

Melody rolled her eyes. Of course Sharon would go into mothering hen mode before she Melody even landed in Wakanda. "I'll take the heat from Sharon, don't worry. I'm quite happy with my coffee."

"Very well, if you'll just follow me please." Melody nodded and did as she was instructed, sipping on her coffee, enjoying the pleasant buzz of caffeine through her system. Thankfully, her headache was starting to abdicate.  They walked outside, the sunshine blazing overhead and blinding and suddenly, Melody wished she'd worn shorts rather than her khakis.