Chapter Twelve: How it Starts

~Chapter Twelve: How it Starts~

"Do I need to sign anything?"

Aldis shakes his head. "Certain people have to, but you don't," he assures me, and I am pretty sure he does not know how relieving that is to hear.

Though there is no special legal government system non-humans can go to if a contract is signed but not followed through with, there are plenty of other ways to make sure contracts are followed. Depending on the spells put on the contract, repercussions can be anything from bad headaches to death. This is mainly a witch thing, as it was created by witches to bind other witches to their deals, but it can work on anyone, even humans.

Since instant death isn't a concern, this idea might actually turn into something.

"What 'certain people'?" I inquire. Though I am relieved I am not one of them, it seems kind of weird that only a few people might need to sign a contract while everyone else is allowed free rein.

"Usually independent contractors, but anyone that reaches a certain level of importance also has to sign," Aldis explains, and it makes sense. The higher up the ladder someone is, the more they know, and the more trouble they could cause if they become a turncoat.

Stop being a chicken and just ask.

"How important are you?"

Aldis runs a hand through his hair, though I cannot tell if the gesture was caused by unease or if his hair was tickling his forehead. He looks pretty calm, but he is also taking a while to reply. "Important enough," he says eventually, "but I'd rather not get into that right now."

"Okay," I reply, drawing out the 'a' in bemusement. "So, will I have to meet your boss?"

"Eventually," Aldis answers with a shrug, as if it doesn't matter. However, from the way his lips press into a tight line, it probably matters quite a bit. In fact, he looks a bit worried, though I have no idea why. Before I can ask if I should also be worried, he changes the subject. "Why do you smell human most of the time?"

"You have your secrets; I have mine," I inform him, feeling a bit smug now that I am the one not answering. He started it.

Though the answer – or lack thereof – seems to frustrate him, he still huffs with restrained amusement and sticks out his tongue, which looks kind of ridiculous since he is wearing a leather jacket and would still look intimidating even without it. "You know, even after all three of our dates, I feel like this is the most honest we've been with each other," he admits, and I kind of have to agree. Though we are, at best, giving each other vague answers, we are being more open about it.

"We're not the most conventional couple," I remind him. Originally, I mostly just thought that as a joke, but we really are a backwards – and maybe a bit sideways – pair. If things continue at this rate, we will end up on our honeymoon before the wedding.

That is, if we even make it that far.

This time, he fails to restrain his laughter, though it mostly goes unnoticed by the other patrons with all the noise coming from the coffee grinder. "Definitely not," he agrees, once he stopped laughing. He is still grinning, though, and I find myself matching his expression, feeling far more relaxed now that things seemed to have settled themselves out.

"So, you know what I am. Do I get to know what you are?"

The face Aldis makes is confusing; he looks emotionally constipated. "It isn't that easy," he admits. Before I can voice my annoyance – there should be a limit to how many questions a person can refuse to answer – he adds, "You probably won't believe me if I don't show you."