Chapter Thirty: She's Gone

~Chapter Thirty: She's Gone~

"What do you mean, she left?" Koa demands over the phone.

"I mean, she's gone," I reply, tucking in my uniform shirt while holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder. I fail to see why he is surprised; from what Heather told me, she does this kind of thing all the time. "Hey, have you heard back from your bosses yet?"

"No," the demon snaps, though I doubt his ire is due to my question; Heather did say Koa would not be happy. "Please explain what you mean by 'she's gone'."

I consider purposefully being difficult, just because I can, but poking a metaphorical tiger with a stick is probably not the best idea. Especially not since he is helping me get my dad back, the very same dad who warned me about the dangers of this specific demon who always smiles.

"Apparently, some god told her – in confidence – about Veles' greatest weakness or something in a letter that she wasn't supposed to tell you and now she's in Russia to find that weakness. She asked-"

Koa cuts me off, "She's in Russia? Where?"

"No idea. She said there was a map included in the letter, but she doesn't know where it leads. The names were of places that don't exist anymore, so she's going by ear," I reply, a little peeved that he interrupted me. I quickly fasten my belt and make sure everything is in order before leaving the locker room, which is thankfully empty since all the nine-o-clock shift workers are already out doing their thing or in the showers. "Look, she promised me this is a low risk operation, and she wanted me to assure you that she would be back in about two weeks, right before you need her to be here."

The demon groans on the other end of the line, "Cade is going to kill me."

I think that's the brother she mentioned.

There is a sigh before Koa asks, "Did she tell you why she decided to leave now? She got that letter months ago."

"She said it was stupid to get godly forces with no target," I inform him. When all I get is a confused noise in response, I decide to give him my take on her meaning, since it makes a hell of a lot more sense than what he said, "She probably meant that, when you didn't know how to find Veles, having a secret weapon or whatever she is after wouldn't matter. Plus, it would give Veles time to figure out what you guys are up to and either find a solution to that weakness or flee. But now that you have an end-game plan and a timeframe, it's safe to get it."

"And she couldn't have brought back-up?" Koa asks, exasperated.

Unfortunately, she did not really explain that part to me and, admittedly, it made me want to tell someone before her specified time. There is a reason police officers work in pairs; when shit hits the fan, it is best not to go in alone. However, she clearly did not agree with that sentiment and I guess I can understand why.

"I'm pretty sure that'd fall under 'she couldn't tell you', but I don't know why she didn't bring anyone neutral with her."

The demon sighs and falls silent for a long moment, likely thinking things over, before he finally says, "Thanks for the heads up. I need to make some phone calls and I'll get back to you once I hear from my superiors."

- - - - - - -

"You guys broke up?"

Dave grimaces and stares down at his half-eaten burger. This place gives discounts to police in uniform since it is right across the street from the station, so this is the third time this week we have eaten here. Thankfully, we know by now when the rush hour is and were able to avoid it by taking a late lunch break, meaning that we have this place mostly to ourselves.