Final Boss

(A/N: double feature finale!!! Stay tuned for extras... and a sequel, coming soon.........)

Jeremy sat on his bed, fidgeting with the unopened can of Mountain Dew Red. Michael sat to his left with a hand on his knee. The Squip sat to his right, glitching occasionally out of nervousness.

Jeremy knew the feeling. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath in an attempt to calm his racing heart.

Since he'd gotten the Squip back, all he wanted was to escape it. To be able to make his own choices again. To be free of the digital puppet strings that controlled him. And he'd tried to escape it, several times -- but now that he was so close... is this really what he wanted? One question echoed in his mind. Am I making the right choice?

He honestly hadn't felt lonely at all recently, and he was in a relationship with Michael -- so, in reality, the Squip did its job this time.

"Right," said the Squip. "I served my purpose, and now..." He sighed, shaking his head. "Now you don't need me anymore."

You're not going to try and stop me this time?

"Why would I? Like you said, I did my job. Your goals have more or less been reached, and seem to be sustainable." He gave a weak smile. "That's thanks to you, Jeremy. Your newfound stability is something you should be proud of."

Me? You did all the work.

The Squip looked away, seemingly ashamed. "I'm not the one who had to make all the right decisions while being constantly abused." He paused for a long moment. "I'm sorry."

You're a computer, Jeremy scoffed. You can't have emotions.

"I'm a super-computer, programmed with advanced artificial intelligence, and I know that abuse is something nobody should have to endure. My priority has always been your happiness, Jeremy -- it's my sole purpose to protect it, in fact. All those things you said to Michael yesterday... I had no idea you felt that way about me." The Squip finally looked him in the eye. "So, I'm sorry."

Jeremy hesitated a moment, skeptical, before replying. I'm sorry I have to get rid of you, then.

The Squip sighed, and nodded once, stiffly. "It's for the best." He extended a hand, which Jeremy shook. "It has been a pleasure, Jeremy Heere."

"Uh, Jer?" Michael cut in.

Jeremy snapped out of it and looked up at him. "Hmm? Oh, sorry, I was just talking to the Squip. Probably... looked weird..."

"What's he saying?"

"Um -- " He looked back to see the empty spot where the Squip had sat a moment ago, feeling a strange, hollow emotion that he had no name for. "Well, he's gone now, but he... he apologized."

Michael was taken aback. "Really? And then he left? He's just going to let you drink the stuff?"

Jeremy nodded. "I guess so. We shook hands and everything." He laid his head on Michael's shoulder and played with the strings of his hoodie. "Michael... I tried. I promise, I tried to drink it before, but I couldn't. He kept telling me that -- that you wouldn't like me anymore, without him. He said that he was the only way we could ever work out. It got in my head." Tears stung at the back of his eyes. "I'm sorry."