02

EVEN THOUGH THEIR CONVERSATION was interrupted seemingly every ten seconds, Nathaniel and Gabriel found a rhythm painting the kid's face and dealing with photo requests. Gabriel sheepishly got up every few minutes, fulfilling citizen's request for selfies, autographs, and the like. It was exhausting, but as Isabel would tell him, appearances are everything. 

"So, it seems like you're a celebrity here," Nathaniel pointed out, nodding at an approaching family. "Should I be getting in line for a photograph? I'm sure a signature would make a big profit on eBay."

Gabriel found himself laughing as he finished posing for a family photo. "Oh god, no. Keep my signature out of the internet, ha ha. I've helped these families over the years in so many ways; they treat me and the fire station well. I don't feel like a celebrity, I'm just doing my job." 

Nathaniel smiled. "Real humble of you, Fireman Sam."

Gabriel didn't know how to respond to that, so he just smiled and chuckled to himself. 

Nathaniel added the finishing touches to a ladybug on a little girl's cheek. "I cannot wait 'till I'm as popular as you are. My dream is to save someone from a burning building, just like in the movies, with the building collapsing in the background and explosions and stuff. That'd be great."

"Trust me, all that ash and smoke and potential of loss-of-life makes that cinematic image much less desirable. Still impressive, but once you're here for a few years like me, the less peril, the better. What about painting? You seem great at it."

Nathaniel turned to Gabriel. "Oh, this? Painting is great, but nothing is better than saving a life."

Gabriel nodded. Such a 'probie'; so naive. He didn't deny to himself that his heroism wasn't making him more attracted to him. "I'm assuming that's what made you want to become a firefighter?"

Nathaniel smiled. "Yeah. Saving people is something I love doing, no matter what situation they're in. Who knows? I might want to make captain one day; hell, even Fire Chief. That would be something." 

"I'm still working on becoming lieutenant. It's a slow endeavour; enjoy the ride."

They shared a smile. Nathaniel went to speak, but a squealing child cut him off, asking him in a falsetto voice if he could paint a superhero mask on his face.

Gabriel's phone buzzed. He fished it out of his pocket; it's the Chief, and she's looking for him for a photo-op. "I should probably leave you to your work, the Chief needs me." Gabriel announced, standing up.

"Wait!" Nathaniel said, pulling out his phone, "before you go, can you punch in your phone number?"

"Why?"

Nathaniel sheepishly smiled, before chuckling to himself. "I don't know anyone else here well, except the captain. I thought this was something friends do; exchange numbers. Right?"

It's what people with crushes do. Gabriel couldn't stop smiling. "Did you just ask for my number? So smooth, Nathe."

"Shut up!" He said, now chuckling to himself. "Please, Gabriel? I don't want my only friend to be the Captain; that would be weird."

He stared at Nathaniel's outstretched hand, before taking the phone from him, putting in his phone number. Just as Gabriel went to hand it back to him, a sudden gust of wind whipped past them, sending one of Nathaniel's idle paintbrushes flying across Gabriel's cheek. A large line of pink paint streaked across his skin.

"Shit, let me get that," Nathaniel said, and, with the most tender of wipes, brushed his washcloth against the paint stain. The cloth was cold, and honestly not doing it's job, so Nathaniel put it down and wiped the paint away with his thumb. 

The warmth of Nathaniel's thumb against Gabriel's stubbly cheek sent fireworks exploding in Gabriel's mind. 

The pair stayed like that for the briefest of moments, before Gabriel stepped back, releasing himself from an embrace he didn't want to leave. "Th-thank you, Nathan." 

"No worries. I'll see you later then, yes?"

"Yeah. I'd hope so."

===========

Hey hey! Don't forget to leave a comment and a vote if you're enjoying the story so far. Let me know what you think of this chapter by leaving an in-line comment here.

Much love,J.S x