33

The early morning sunlight peered through the white hospital wing window drapes.

Ron lay unconscious in a hospital bed, accompanied by his three friends, Slughorn, McGonagall, and Dumbledore.

"You should be very proud of your student, Horace," Dumbledore said, referring to Harry stepping in to save Ron's life when he was poisoned.

"Ah yes," Horace nodded, "Very proud."

"While Potter's actions were heroic, why were they necessary?" McGonagall chimed in.

While the adults tried to recall who the poisoned drink came from, Hermione studied Ron's face, pain evident in her eyes.

"Are you alright?" Isabel said, nudging Hermione.

Hermione looked startled, "Oh, yes," Her mind seemed to be wandering somewhere else, "It's a real shame. He seems so peaceful."

Isabel nodded.

"He's been so stressed with Lavender around, it's a shame the only time he is relaxed is when he's poisoned." Hermione blurted, venom dripping from her words when she said Lavender's name.

Just then, quick footsteps came clambering down the hall.

"Speaking of," Isabel said as Lavender burst into the room.

"Where is he?" She cried, exasperated, "Where's my Won-Won?"

Even Dumbledore seemed to cringe at the nickname.

"Has he been asking for me?" Lavender said, running to Ron.

She suddenly stopped and glared, "What's she doing here?"

Isabel sighed, assuming she meant her. She braced herself for the attack, but then Hermione stood up.

"I might ask you the same question,"

Isabel realized she meant Hermione. Lavender felt threatened by Hermione and Ron's chemistry. Isabel couldn't help but crack a small smile.

"I happen to be his girlfriend!" Lavender exclaimed.

Hermione matched her tone, "And I happen to be his," her voice fell, "friend."

Lavender scoffed, "Don't make me laugh. You haven't spoken in weeks."

Hermione winced at the truth of her words, "I suppose you want to make up with him now that he's all interesting."

Hermione practically was fuming, "He's been poisoned you daft dimbo!"

She exhaled, "And for the record, I've always found him interesting."

Lavender rolled her eyes and walked closer to the bed.

Ron suddenly stirred and started to mumble.

Lavender perked up, "See? He senses my presence."

Harry stifled a laugh.

"Don't worry Won-Won, I'm here." Lavender cooed.

Ron mumbled louder, "-mione."

Hermione stiffened.

"Her-one. Mione. Hermione."

Lavender was filled with hurt and rage.

She ran out of the room, quicker than she came.

Hermione took the opportunity to sit on the hospital bed, taking Ron's hand.