Chapter 41

CHAPTER 41

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

FEBRUARY, 1500

*Apostolic Palace, Rome, Papal States*

"You should never have underestimated me..."

Lorenzo's voice rang in Sofia's head and she winced, looking away. They were arguing about her around her but she heard nothing but white noise.

"What have you done to me?" She managed to say but Lorenzo said nothing.

"She was accused of witchcraft. They found her guilty and she was sentenced to drown!" Cesare cried as Rodrigo remained still, stunned over what was happening. Sofia couldn't get a reading off of him, or anyone. "Dario saved her. He resurrected the witch!"

Rodrigo looked at Dario who shook his head. "She is innocent, Cesare knew that. Why did he have Gioffre and Maria attacked who were on their way back to the Vatican to reveal what had happened?"

Cesare shook his head. "No, Gioffre and Maria were attacked by the mob as they tried to free her."

"Liar!" Dario cried but Rodrigo raised his hand, silencing them all.

"Why shall I believe you, Cesare?"

This was not the answer he was expecting and the anger boiled in the Borgia lord. "Believe me? I am your son!"

"When it is of your benefit?" Rodrigo remarked. "You have done nothing but undermine my rule for the past few years, so why should I believe you?"

"Because it has all been her..." Cesare tried to not lose his temper but the tension in his neck told a different story. "You cannot ignore the great coincidence in our lives falling apart once she entered them."

"You caused your own downfall, Cesare," Dario pointed out as Cesare glared at him.

"We'll see about that..."

In an instant, a dagger came flying at Sofia.

She simply glared at it and it caught fire before her, falling to the ground in a pile of ash.

A deep exhale escaped her - Sofia coming around. All she had seen at the moment the dagger came to her was darkness - something had taken over her mind. "What have you done to me?" Her broken voice was followed by the gasps and cries of heresy and witchcraft by the people gathered. "What have you done to me?" She screamed at Lorenzo and he tilted his head at her.

"Expose you for what you are..."

Looking at her hands, she turned to Dario and the others.

Rodrigo was horrified, his hand raised as he condemned her. "I remember..." He spoke suddenly. "Lucrezia's wedding day! You...tried to kill me!"

"No! No...that wasn't me! I saved your life!" Sofia turned to Lorenzo. "It was him!" Somehow, he had manipulated the Pope's memories and he now saw what he wanted him to see.

And there was nothing Sofia could do, not without fear that she would hurt him. 

But Rodrigo didn't want to hear it. "A witch? She's a witch!" He turned to Dario. "You brought a witch into our home?"

"Of course not!"

"She's a witch!" Rodrigo cried. He grabbed wood from the burning fire, throwing it at Sofia who shook her head, refusing to fight. The dried grass caught fire around her, encircling her and Dario was stopped by guards from putting the fire out.