Chapter 49

CHAPTER 49

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

MARCH, 1500

*Apostolic Palace, Rome, Papal States*

In a bright white glow, Sofia Merlini stood before them.

Dressed in a white gown, her golden hair open, Lorenzo and Cesare looked at her in shock as did the Cardinals present.

Gioffre, Ana, Maria and Jacobo were at her feet, having flown out of the tornado suddenly. "Oh sure...she throws us through the tornado..." Jacobo muttered as they all slowly got up.

"Witch!" A Cardinal suddenly cried, breaking the shock that had befallen the room.

"Take cover..." She warned Ana, who grabbed her brother, Gioffre and Maria, retreating to the sidelines. Sofia raised her hand, swiping it down and all of the Cardinals fell unconscious - all except for Rovere who was released by the guards.

As a Dove attacked Sofia, she waved her hand, blasting him as she attacked the men present, but the Doves who had been struck by Hecate's Dagger were neutralised and she waved her hand, knocking them down in an instant.

"I guess you weren't expecting me?" She finally spoke, staring directly at Cesare and Lorenzo.

"How is this possible?" Lorenzo asked, tossing the dagger he had caught to the side. "You...you cannot..."

"What?" Sofia snapped, facing him. "I cannot be here? I cannot be alive, wielding the gifts that you tried so hard to minimise and limit?" Sofia raised her hand, twisting it around where an off-white glow lingered between her fingers. "Well...looks like you do not get to make that choice for me...and you never have..." A glow shone out of Sofia, her hair blowing behind her. "You do not control a Blessed Child."

A blast of energy escaped her right hand, hitting Lorenzo as he crashed into the wall at the far end.

But his armour deflected all energy blasts and he was up on his feet in no time. "Blessed Children...always die..." He replied, blasting Sofia as she deflected the attack, her arms raised like a shield. The remaining Doves waited for orders as Sofia watched each of them.

"Sofia!" Ana cried but Sofia wasn't going to lose. She could sense their fear and trepidation - they didn't want to do this, no matter what Lorenzo told them.

She had too much to fight for her.

"She is a Blessed Child. Like Circe and Hypathia before her, she wants power and she will destroy each and every one of us until she gets it..." Lorenzo explained, the Doves, arming themselves reluctantly. "She will watch us all fall...is that what you want?"

Sofia shook her head. "I will not hurt you if you do not hurt me..." Sofia explained. "You only ever explain half of those stories of Circe and Hypathia..." Sofia looked at Lorenzo. "Like you only ever told me. Circe and Hypathia did not crave power - they protected themselves from people like you and those people were threatened by the power and gifts they were born with...like me..." Her hands glowed again, and Lorenzo stepped back.

She saw Dario, weak from torture and injury, his head on Lucrezia's lap as Niccolo and Ana did what they could to help him and she connected to his mind.

"My love..."

Dario stirred.

"My Corvus."