Chapter 46

CHAPTER 46

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

MARCH, 1500

*Apostolic Palace, Rome/Sassetta, Florence*

Darkness lingered over Rome.

Lorenzo had eyes everywhere - one sneaky move and he would know and the consequences proved fatal.

Yet Niccolo took a chance.

The garrison remained a safe space - abandoned and removed of all weapons and horses. He knew it like the back of his hand and all he had to do was use the shadows as cover.

Breaking into Sant'Angelo was easy enough as he had imprisoned enough people there to know all about the ways to get out. He found Dario lying on the floor of his cell, his arms outstretched on either side of him.

He simply unlocked the door, picking at it and Dario's eyes opened to see Niccolo standing at the now-open cell door.

He said nothing as he pulled himself up, in pain from the days of abuse and torture as Niccolo caught him, putting an arm around his shoulder as he helped him out of the prison.

"He'll hang you..."

"If we get caught..." Niccolo replied, determined to get his friend and brother in every way to safety.

***

Dario lay in the infirmary as Niccolo tended to his injuries. "What did he do to you?"

"Lorenzo...did everything he possibly could without killing me..." Dario winced as another wound was washed with alcohol. "This...torture is rage. He has a vendetta against me."

"He probably blames you for losing Sofia..." Niccolo pointed out, preparing a suture for an open wound on his shoulder. "She came here for a mission and he was the ringleader."

"Sofia changed on her own accord..." Dario said, his fists clenching as the sterilised needle pierced his skin. "I had nothing to do with it."

"You can't reason with a madman..."

Dario winced, in silence as the needle pulled his skin together, Niccolo tying it off. "Where is everyone?" He acknowledged the ghastly silence for the first time, looking around at the still garrison.

"Lucrezia and little Rodrigo have been sent to a convent..." Niccolo explained, washing his hands. "And...Ana and Gioffre were sent away for their own safety too."

"Where?" Dario turned to him, a slight pain shooting through his right side as he rolled his shoulders to ease the tenseness.

"Sardinia," Niccolo replied. "It is Aragonese territory after all. Cesare would never find them."

Dario nodded. "Any sightings of Sofia?" Niccolo shook his head. "My father? How is he?"

"Vannozza saw him and she says he is still weak. Still bedridden..." Niccolo explained.

"And Alfonso?"

Niccolo sighed, sitting opposite Dario and he knew it was something serious.

"Alfonso...succumbed to his injuries, Dario..." He saw the blank expression on his friend's face. "He died...several days ago."

Was it shock or disbelief but Dario was expressionless? "His wounds were healing. Sofia cauterised them. How...how did he..."

"He was on the mend. He was recovering..." Niccolo explained. "And then, that morning, I came to check on him and he was dead. When Cesare was informed, he refused to carry out an autopsy. He just wanted him buried as soon as possible..."