Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*SEPTEMBER 1497*

*Apostolic Palace, Rome, Papal States*

"Niccolo!" Sofia entered the garrison and called to him as she followed him into the examination room. "Did you find out anything else from the courtesans' bodies?" It had been a few days since the bodies of the women had been brought to the palace infirmary and while Sofia had completed the initial examination, she gave Niccolo a chance to verify her findings.

Niccolo shook his head. "Nothing. Dario's interrogating Vitelli's man and we've got men out there looking for Vitelli himself..." He explained to Sofia and she frowned, seeing the bodies were no longer on the surgical tables.

"Where did they go?"

"Madame Masina demanded the bodies be given back as soon as possible..." He explained, just as Dario entered. "Anything?" Niccolo questioned as Dario walked over to a basin of water and washed his blood-stained hands.

"He won't talk..." Dario sighed. "He's incredibly loyal..."

"You beat him?" Sofia was shocked and Dario nodded.

"How else am I going to get answers?" He questioned as Sofia crossed her arms.

"And what makes you think that the answers he's going to give you are the truth? He might just be saying things to end the pain you're inflicting on him!"

Dario looked at her. "Doesn't matter...he didn't say anything." He walked out of the room and Sofia followed. "What do you want?"

"Two things..." She replied as she followed him up the scaffolding steps to the watchtower that overlooked most of Rome. "Wow..." She said, in awe over the beauty of the view. "This is...wow..." She was speechless as Dario smiled.

"Yeah...I like it too..." He replied as he leaned on the stone wall. "I come up here to think and relax."

"I can imagine..." Sofia mumbled, before shaking her head and staying focused on the task at hand. "I forgot to thank you...for saving me..." She added.

Dario stood up straight. "I wasn't going to let them hurt you, Sofia. When you came to Rome, you might work for the women but you are still my responsibility. If anything happens to you, I'll never forgive myself for taking you away from the safety and sanctuary of your home..." His words touched her and Sofia smiled, touching his arm.

"Thank you."

"But..." Sofia's arm fell as he spoke. "That hunt for the courtesans and facing Vitelli's men was a one-off. You cannot get involved in this investigation. It is too dangerous and I was stupid to agree on letting you go with us..." Dario shook his head. "Well not again. I put your life in danger and I'm not going to do that again..."

He cared about her...unlike Lorenzo. While Lorenzo had dismissed the attack on her, Dario didn't want it to happen again.

Would Lorenzo care if she ended up in a similar situation again?

Sofia looked out at Rome. "You promise to protect me...I'm going to hold you on that..." She glanced at him, both of them smiling at each other. "But...if I can help, like when I meet the women at the tavern and they give me information...I will. That is my promise..."

Trust. Earn his trust and loyalty.

It was not the time to turn back, despite the warm feeling that filled her as Dario spoke to her.