Chapter 15

CHAPTER 15

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*OCTOBER 1497*

*Apostolic Palace, Rome, Papal States*

Dario was dragged through the Great Hall, blood pouring from his mouth after being exposed to a brutal assault by Cesare. Sofia watched and she felt her heart aching for him as she screamed out for him to be released. Rodrigo stood before the entire Papal court, Cardinals standing on each side as Sofia was held back by Papal guards.

She saw the pain in Dario's eyes - she knew what was going to happen to him.

Rodrigo looked at her - anger raging through his eyes as he pointed to her. A voice bellowed in the Great Hall and one of the guards that held her released her. She faced them and a sword was now in their hands. Her hands came to her face, tears streaming down her as everything fell silent and went dark.

***

Sofia sat up in bed suddenly, breathing heavily. She was sweating and Arturo meowed from the bottom of the bed, walking up to her.

She took a deep breath, calming down, but her heart was still racing. Waving her hand, the candles in the room lit up as she held Arturo in her arms and cuddled him, as he purred.

It was only a dream...but felt so real.

But why would she dream something like that?

Unless...it wasn't a dream but a vision.

Dario...murdering his own brother? It seemed impossible but he was a Borgia and she was learning that all of them had anger issues. Dario had been avoiding her since that night in her room and she didn't blame him. While it ached her heart to know he didn't want to be around her, keeping her distance from a very clear distraction meant she could focus on why she was here in the first place.

Cesare.

She had hardly seen him as he was always busy with something and he never stayed around her for long for her to get answers from him, even a reading.

She had to earn the trust of all of the Borgias so maybe, she could set her sights on Cesare Borgia next.

***

Drumming signalling a dead man's final walk echoed in the autumnal sky.

Giotto Farnese was facing execution.

He told them all nothing and Dario's frustrations led to this moment - the Vitelli guard at the gallows.

He stood on the scaffold, the public all around in the Colosseum as Borgia and his family sat in the royal box above, waiting for the moment. Sofia was with them at the front, Cristina between her and Dario.

Giotto was given his final rites as he was masked and Sofia prayed for his soul too. She would not applaud a murder, particularly one sanctioned by the Borgias.

The drums were pounded as Giotto's neck was tied to the rope and the executioner waited for the signal.

Borgia gave a nod of the head.

And the lever was pulled.

The crowd gasped as they watched Giotto struggle, Sofia looking away suddenly as she felt Dario watching her. She glanced at him and turned back to the crowd below.