Chapter One

So here we are! Just a reminder I didn't invent Shield, Avengers, Captain America, or any others, all rights go to Marvel. Just Sage and only Sage is my creation.

Chapter One:

Another blow to my jaw had my head jerk up fast, the pain echoing down my entire body. I just smirked, not giving the enemy the satisfaction. I felt a bruise coming but didn’t worry about it too much. I was more concerned about Nat’s arm that wouldn’t stop bleeding.

“WHERE IS IT!?!?!” our captor cried, his shouts echoing through the room. Word had gotten out that Shield was affiliated with the Tesseract. What they don’t know is  we returned the Tesseract back to Asgard, where it belongs. It’s better that way, so we no longer endangered the planet. There was a huge fight in New York over it about year or so ago.

A year…. I thought remorsefully. Has it really been that long? It seems like a lot longer than that. A whole year since my first experience with Shield, my first alien encounter, plus I became an Avenger. Yet, it’s been a year since I saw Steve Rogers. He was my… friend? Significant other?  I don’t really know, we never went into specifics. All I know is we’ve kissed and he is pretty amazing. I hadn’t seen him since New York. We tried emailing and calling at some point but being a Shield agent, I’m always on the move and rarely had a phone. Also, Steve really isn’t that great with technology. A year is a long time and a lot can change.

I was brought out of my stupor with another punch to the face. I glare up into the face of the man who captured us. He was tan with gray stubble lining his face. His neck had a gold chain around it and it looked like it was choking him to death. His hair glinted darkly as though he slicked it back with car oil. His blazer, although high quality, was stained red and I liked to pretend it was ketchup and nothing more.

“Where is the Tesseract?” he asked again, his voice a deadly whisper. I simply shrugged in response.  That earned me a slap across the cheek. I could feel his meaty hand leaving a mark and I winced at the sting.

“I’ll be back,” he said and I noticed his heavy accent,” And you better be ready to tell me where it is.” With that he and a few guards left the room. It was small, made out of cinderblock. A single light bulb illuminated the musty room.

“Nat? You alright?” I asked. I got a nod from her. Natasha had gotten a bit mouthy and they finally decided to gag her. 

I twisted my wrists in the tight rope that bonded my hands, looking for a weakness in it. I pulled and tugged until I found a thinner section. I harshly yanked on the chords and heard a light rip. I grinned in relief as I pulled my hands in front of me, finally freed. Thank God it wasn’t hand cuffs.

“I’m out.” I whisper, untying the ropes around my ankles. I rushed to Nat, getting the gag out of her mouth.

“My hands…” she said. I nodded, reaching to untie her ropes. She released her feet, wrapping her gag around her wounded arm. The image of that guy pulling a knife on her would probably always be imprinted in my mind.

“Did you hear his accent?” she asked, getting off her chair. I nodded. Accents could give you a location.

“Italy, I think. Not near the coast.” I replied and she nodded her agreement. We looked around the room, unsure of what to do now. There were no tiles above our heads, nor any AC vents we may have been able to crawl in. Pure concrete made up the walls and neither of us were able to turn into a huge green monster and smash them down. Although we did have a friend who could, but he’s off duty.

“Surprise attack?” I asked at last. Our only option was to break down the door and hopefully fight our way out. The worst that could happen was we get caught and brought back here again.