Chapter Four

Clint, Natasha, and I walked down the hatch opening at the bottom of the plane. I noted the nice, bright red, old-timey car and knew it was Phil’s.

“You’re not staying?” I asked him, even though I already knew his answer.

“There’s a world I have to protect.”  Phil reminded me. I sighed.

“Yeah, I know.” I replied. He pulled me in for a tight hug, and I put my head on his shoulder. It was scary to think he’d been…gone. I couldn’t really imagine a life where Phil wasn’t just a phone call away.

“I’ll see you soon kid.” He said, kissing the top of my head. I grinned.

“I thought I was an adult now?” I asked jokingly. He rolled his eyes.

“I said you grew up, not that you were a grown up.” He said. I grinned and hugged him again.

“Bye Phil.” I said, and followed the other two down off the plane. I felt a pang when I heard the engines once more start up and lift off.

“Let’s go girls.” Clint said, wrapping an arm around each of us. I groaned, crossing my own arms as we entered the New York division of Shield

After several slightly annoying protocol procedures, we were finally led into the office of Nick Fury. He wore his usual dark clothing and still had a natural lack of greeting.

“How did the mission turn out?” he questioned all of us.

“ Made It out alive, pretty sure we convinced them we no longer have the Tesseract, and stole one of their helicopters.” Nat summarized.

“I’m pretty sure if you checked, there’s probably a tracker on it.” I added.

“I cleaned a few files on their database concerning Shield.” Clint finished.

“Good work.” Fury said with a nod. I watched as he pulled a folder from his filing cabinet, a sleek black portfolio with the Shield emblem.

“Our next mission?” I asked curiously.

“Actually, this assignment is specifically for Agent Romanoff and Agent Barton.” Fury replied and I felt a little hurt. I wasn’t invited on the mission?

“Is there any particular reason why I can’t go?” I asked.

“Clearance Level Seven.” Fury said and I groaned internally. I was only a stupid level six. I hadn’t been a part of Shield as long as Clint or Natasha, but I was still pretty high up as far as clearance goes for a newbie.

“Oh.”  Was all I replied with.

“Yes, so you’re off duty for the next few weeks while Barton and Romanoff are out.” He told me.

“Okay.” I said, a little hollow. I had always gone on missions with Clint and Nat, why not now? It was only one level difference, wasn’t it?

“You can go now Caruso. I need to speak to these two privately.” Fury said, already turning towards the other two. Unsure, I stepped out of the office, quietly shutting the door behind.

“Well that didn’t hurt at all.”  I said, heading down the hall.

I knew I shouldn’t have taken that to heart, that it was only business. But it was the first mission I didn’t get to go on. I was kind of upset about it. I mean, most agents after a year are only level three at best. I was level six! Could I honestly not have been trusted with a mission only one level ahead of me?

I walked out of the building, ending on a busy New York street. I hailed a cab to my old apartment. I only had my wallet and emergency key, as well as my Shield badge. Most of my stuff was back at my apartment.

The cab dropped me off after I threw a few bills over the seat.

“Thanks!” I called as it sped away. I climbed up the metal steps to the third floor, pulling out my key. I unlocked the door, stepping in to my home for the first time in forever. I flicked on the lights, the small apartment brightening up. The living room was right next to my bedroom, the green couch facing the T.V. sitting across from it. I had a tiny kitchen over to the right and a bathroom in my room. I didn’t need much space since it was just me.

I tossed my wallet on the couch, shutting the door behind me like old times. I headed to my room, sitting on the bed. I grabbed the land line next to my bed and dialed Steve’s well memorized number.

“Hello?” he asked and I immediately smiled, despite how I was feeling.

“Hey. I finally got back to my apartment. It turns out, I’ve got a few weeks in New York.” I informed him.

“Really?” he asked and I pleased at the hope in his voice.

“Yup, so when are you going to get here?” I asked.

“I’ll be there in an hour.” He replied.

“Awesome.” I said, giving him my address. After hanging up, I was faced with a mortal crisis that I’ve never experienced before. I had no idea what to wear.

“This is going to take a while.” I said, and began to rummage through my closet.

A/N: Okay, so I'm going to be putting this Fanfiction on hold for now. I've got another one I'm focusing on. I willcome back to this one afterwards!!! I hope you understand and thank you for reading!