Chapter 10

I got home and Jared was in the same spot he was in when I left at lunch time. 

"Hey, I'm home... I'm just going to jump in the shower and then we can start heading down to the restaurant." I said dropping my bag on the floor by the kitchen counter. He held up a thumbs up to let me know he had heard me. I grabbed a pair or black stockings and my flowy yellow dress that was sort of smart and came to just above my knees, and I went to shower. I was about five minutes and I brushed my hair and clipped my fringe back and I walked out of the steamy bathroom to be greeted by Splash and the smell of men's deodorant and the sound of Jared talking on the phone by the sound of it he was talking to his mom. I walked into my bedroom and took out the shoes I wore to the beach party and put them on. I checked my phone nothing from Aaron or my mom. But a reminder from Mia. 

Mia: Hi love, I just wanted to remind you about dinner later. Looking forward to spending time with you guys. Love Mia. 

Me: we are almost ready see you there just now. Xx

I hit send and walk out into the living room, where Jared is now sitting on the couch talking to his mom. 

"I am fine mom I promise you." he looked at me and raised his eye brows. 

"Charlie is right here looking at me, would you like to speak to her?" I shook my head and started walking back to my bedroom. 

"She would love to speak to you!" I just turned and stared at him, he was now holding out the phone I took it and gave him a dirty look. 

"Hello Mrs Downs." I said cheerfully. 

"Charlie my love how are you doing, is my son behaving?" She asked. 

"Im great, and yes he is... We are about to go for dinner with my dad and step mom." I told Jared's mom. 

"oh good, that's good. Take care of my boy for me won't you?" she said. 

"I will. Do you want to chat to him again?" I asked. 

"Yes please. Keep well Charlie." I passed the phone back to him and he smiled at me. 

"See mom I told you! I love you too. Bye." he hung up the phone and looked at me. 

"You look good, is Harry coming?" he asked jokingly. 

"Haha. No he isn't but you never know who might be there. I might just meet my prince charming." I said flipping my hair and then we both started laughing. "I have team initiation tomorrow at the pool at five. The captain came by to tell me today. So You might be left to you own devices for a bit. Or I can ask Logan and Harry to give you a tour of town or take you surfing and I can meet up with you later." I said to Jared. 

"Yeah that would be cool it would give me a chance to get know them better." he told me pulling his sports coat on. 

"Looking pretty smart there Jared." I said. 

"Shall we go my lady?" he asked and held out arm and I slipped mine through.

"We shall my lord." and we walked towards the door. "Goodbye my kitty." I called before closing the door. We got down to the cars and decided to take Jared's truck. He opened my door for me and Lilly came out at that exact moment. 

"Hey Lilly, how's it going?" I said smiling knowing it would make her cross. 

"Fantastically, to be honest. I heard you met my brother today." she said in a sarcastic judgey way. 

"Yeah I did... He put me on the swim team, so lucky for me I'm going to be seeing a lot more of Dan." I tilted my head as I said this. 

"Babe we've gotta go if we are going to make our reservation." Jared said loud enough for Lilly to hear. 

"Bye Lilly, it was great chatting to you." and I waved while Jared reversed out of the parking spot. 

"Thanks for that. It will get her and Nina of my back for," insert air quotes, "chasing after Logan." I told him. 

"Why don't girls get along with you?" he asked not taking his eyes off the road. 

"I honestly have no idea! So far my only girl friends have been Rita, Mia and now Franky." I said truthfully. I looked over at Jared in the drivers seat, not looking away from the road and traffic for a second, the win messing up his short hair, the sun shining on his face and showing how long his eye lashes really were. Now I remember why I had such a crush on him when we were younger. I turned my face away and smiled. 

"I bet they all wish they were as awesome, fun and pretty as you are." He told me while changing lanes. 

"Yeah right." I said laughing at him.

"Why are you laughing? I'm being serious!" we were stopped at a red light so he looked over at me in the passenger seat. "I mean it." the light turned green while our eyes were locked and the guy in the silver sports car behind us honked his horn and Jared quickly took off. 

"don't ask my dad about work tonight, and don't mention my mom sending that stuff down, and whatever you do, do not talk about the fact that I see Nate regularly, for some reason Mia doesn't think it's good for me." I said changing topic. 

"Got it. It's going to be fine... This isn't the first time I've had dinner with you and your dad." Jared told me. 

"Oh my gosh, I remember." I laughed and buried my face in my hands. "It was at the sports awards, and we were at a table together." 

"Your dad grilled me about my intentions with you." Jared laughed at the memory. "it was just after the rumors started. Just to set things straight, I didn't start them. I just told some of the guys that we kissed... That's all I said. I would never lie about you. I promise." he said. 

"I believe you." I told him truthfully. "Your mom also turned into an interrogator too. I got the full questioning." 

"My mom is like the most protective woman in the world. My dad on the other hand, when he found out... He called me into the kitchen and handed me a beer, told me I'd taken my first steps towards being a man." we both laughed. 

"I like this..." I said. 

"What do you mean?" Jared asked. 

"This right here, you, me, hill side, everything in the past week has been pretty amazing, and I'm just, I'm glad you are here." I said to him. 

"Don't get all emotional on me here green, we've already cried in front of each other once, and that one time too many." he told me and he pushed my shoulder. 

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that day, an that I didn't tell you I was going." I said honestly. 

"That's okay. It's over now, and I'm here." He said. "We're together." I smiled at him and nodded. We were quiet the rest of the drive. When we arrived Mia and dad waved at us, they had chosen an outside table because it was such a nice evening and the sun set in Hill Side was always amazing. 

"Hey kiddo." my dad said standing up to hug me. 

"Hey daddio." I said. "How are you Mia?" I asked hugging her too. 

"Good thanks. You look great." she answered. 

"Thanks." I said shyly. "Mia this is my friend Jared." 

"It's great to meet you Mia, Charlie has told me so much about you." he said 

"Likewise." she said with a smile. 

"Young man, it's nice to see you again." my dad said. 

"Thank you for inviting me for dinner. My mom and dad send their regards." he said shaking hands with my dad