Chapter 9

At five am my alarm went off and I cursed at myself for making plans this early, everyone only left at one thirty last night and I hardly slept. So I don’t think I will be on top of my game this morning. I quickly scribbled down a note for Harry and Jared who were both still sleeping.

Harry please can you feed Splash,

Jared I will see you later, and don’t forget dinner with my dad and Mia tonight.

Ps, spare keys are on my desk.

I grabbed my keys and left, it was still pretty dark out. I got down to the car, chucked my towel and kit bag onto the passenger seat and drove down to the pool. There were only four cars parked there by the time I got there  and Franky was leaning against hers. I grabbed my towel and bag and climbed out the car.

“Hey, glad you could make it.” She said jokingly.

“I’m like two seconds late.”I said walking over to her.

“I know I literally just got here.”

“Cool shall we get this started?” I asked and Franky nodded, so we walked through the gate and set our kit down on two sun beds. We stepped out of our clothes and were both in black one pieces, we picked our lanes. There was only one other person in the pool as well as the life guard.

“That’s Dan Truman, do your best laps and you’ll impress him... I won’t swim as fast as you to make you look good, and he’ll want you on the team.” Franky said pulling down her goggles I did the same.

“Don’t go easy on me.” I said as we positioned ourselves to dive.

“I wasn’t planning on it anyway.” Franky said and without warning she dived in and got a head start. I dived in quickly to catch up to her, the cold of the water took my breath away but as soon as I surfaced I took  a breath and was ready to catch up to Franky. She stopped after one lap and was only a few strokes ahead of me and when I reached her I did a tumble turn and did two more laps until I was back at Franky, who was now talking to Dan.

“Show off!” she said when I reached her.

“Hi, I’m Dan, the captain on the swim team. Fins here tells me you want to join.” He said.

“I’m Charlie, I was on the team back home.” I told him.

“I know who you are, Lilly has told me all about you.” He said with a smirk.

“Look I don’t know what I did to piss her off...” I said and he held up his hands and cut me off.

“I don’t care what Lilly said about you, from what I’ve seen... I want you on the team, so keep training and I’ll tell Lilly to lay off you.” Dan said and pulled himself out the pool and walked off.

“Congrats, you impressed Dan!” Franky high fived me. “and you’re on the team.”

We carried on swimming I was a few seconds faster than Franky each lap, so she got out while I carried on. Once I started it was hard to get me to stop, the feeling of pulling myself through the water made me feel so powerful. It was a feeling unlike any other. When I finally got out there were a few more people at the pool. Franky was talking to a bunch of guys, when I reached them she said “This is who I was telling you about. Charlie this is half of the swim team.” The introduced themselves, their names were Justin, Toby, Paul and Andrew.

“You’re pretty fast, I was in the lane next to you...” Justin said.

“Thanks. Franky I have to go.  I need to be at work in fifteen. It was really great to meet you guys.” I said grabbing my bag and rushing into the changing rooms. I was changed and at work before both Harry and Logan. So I opened up and turned all the lights on and flipped the open/closed sign around. I called Mia from the shop phone to confirm tonight.