The Butler and The Bird

Dick awoke to the sound of someone whistling softly, and blinked a few times as his eyes opened. He sat up and rubbed his eyes tiredly before looking around.

He sat up and followed the whistling, then stopped at the entrance of his small kitchen when he noticed a familiar butler.

"Alfred?" The bird questioned, a hint of confusion heard in his voice. The butler turned to him with a soft smile.

"Ah, Master Dick. How did you sleep?" The butler questioned, walking over to the younger man.

"Fine.. What are you doing here?" The hero asked, the older man.

"Is it illegal for me to come and visit my grandson?" The butler smiled. Dick had always considered the butler to be a grandfather to him, the same way he considered Bruce to be his father.

"No, I'm just surprised." He responded. "You came all the way to Blüdhaven to visit me?" He asked.

"That and to clean up the mess you have here." Alfred responded, looking around. The bird's home wasn't necessarily a mess. There where a few things out of place and lying around but besides that, it was fine. To him at least. To the butler, not so much.

Dick smiled and shook his head. Something seemed off to him. Alfred wouldn't just come to his small apartment to clean him home.

The butler looked over his "grandson," and frowned, seeing he was a lot thinner. "Have you not been eating, Master Dick? You seem to have lost quite a bit."

Dick was silent at the question. He actually had barely been eating at all, avoiding meals, snacks, the only things that kept him going was water, though he had even began to cut that too.

The butler sighed. "Master Wallace had told me of what you have been doing to yourself." He stated, looking at the younger mans face.

"He told you?" A frown appeared on his slightly pale face. 'So, that's why he's here.'

If Wally had told Alfred of what he had been doing to himself, who else did he tell? Did Bruce know? Dick grew sick at the thought of his mentor knowing. Of course, he only be seen as more of a disappointment in his father's eyes. He looked up at Alfred, mistaking the look of worry for disappointment.

"Alfred I --" The raven haired male was silenced by the butler, who shook his head.

"Richard, the reason as to why you've done these things to yourself is unknown to me. But, I can't stand the thought of losing someone who has grown so dear to my heart. So, I ask you to promise me one thing." He looked at the younger male, who continued to listen.

"Keep on fighting. Keep on surviving. If not for yourself than for others who care for you. Will you promise me that?"

Dick looked at the older man and nodded silently, which caused a smile to appear on the butler's face.

"Now.." He looked around. "Is there anything in particular you feel like eating or should I just whip something up?"

Dick smiled. For that he was grateful. Grateful that Alfred could just act as if everything was ok. Maybe things will be. Just maybe.