Of pride and honor (1)

"Darn... got a lot of guts, that one, but chronic lack of finesse..."

"You mean, Uncle?"

"Who else? I think I'd be shocked whichever way this duel turns... But then, him as a sacrificial goat makes more sense than you, son."

"Mom..! Please, that's not very polite--"

"It's true. You've never got to know him in action, did ya? Well, now's your chance. Savor it."

High-up, the one-sided battle commenced--and it was but a short one. Vegeta too proved no match for this purple fox, and before long Beerus was again standing in front of his prostrate adversary--ready to deliver the killing blow.

"Keh... should've known, you're as strong as ever; though I'll not yield so easily. Perhaps I'll take some pleasure in knowing that it's the God of Destruction himself that will end me."

"Indeed," Beerus mused, still pointing, "a nice way to rationalize your end. Now, prepare yourself."

Again, that small Ki ball appeared--this time growing to be a medium-sized one, just waiting to be launched. In its glow, Vegeta responded with a brave smile... but it then slowly turned into a cringe, as if he felt that he had not done enough just yet.

TAP, TAP...

SLAP!

Vegeta opened his eyes at the sound. Beerus held his pose as if frozen; then almost abruptly the Ki ball disappeared as Beerus turned to face his new challenger.

It's Bulma.

"Enough already!" she retorted, "I have been trying to be a nice, proper hostess--but don't think I'll go by so easily when I figure out you're just barging in and start trashing in my party!"

Beerus stared down at her.

"...What? Oh, don't grumble; if you have any complaints, spit it out and let us all know! You're just a guest here, and a technically uninvited one at that! Got it?!"

"B-bulma!" the prostrate figure stammered, "hold it back--you don't know what you're saying!"

"Oh, Vegeta, you should've known better than to look pathetic before a stranger in my party--an alien from space at that!"

"Alien, did you say..?"

Beerus turned up a wolfish grin and put his right arm slightly up. "Now for that slight transgression..."

"Ugh! Lord Beerus, please have mercy...!"

Vegeta, staring wide-eyed at the possible scenario about to unfold, now began to plead.

"Please... whatever you are going to do... please don't hurt her!!"

Another slap echoed on through the deck. Slight as it was, its force--coming from a God of Destruction--hurled the lavender-haired lady for a few yards before Trunks and Goten (now sufficiently recovered) caught her body.

"Oh no... please wake up, you..."

"Mom, say something! Are you okay?!"

It took a little while more before Bulma could be perceived to utter a faint sigh.

Bana, too far away and powerless to prevent this, gaped. He then looked on fiercely in Saui's direction; only to be paid in kind, accompanied by a slight shake of the head.

You stay out of this.

"Aaah!!!"

Another quick glance at Vegeta found him struggling in some way despite the strength of Beerus' aura.

"Why, you... What have you.... How could you...! Ugh...!!"

No one on the deck dared interrupt.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE... TO MY BULMA???!!!"

This singular outburst was soon to be accompanied by another more manifest explosion of rage: his return to a Super Saiyan state, along with sounds of electrical fizzing here and there round the body.

"Mark my words, Beerus--mark them well! This form is the last you'll see, and now you'll pay for what you did!! GAAAHH!!"

Believing himself to have gathered enough strength and momentum once more, Vegeta lunged at Beerus with renewed vigor. Another battle was on, and this time Vegeta resolved to grip the initiative for as long as he could manage it.

Beerus, despite the slight initial shock, still maintained his disposition and blocked nearly all of Vegeta's attacks with deadly calmness.

This second bout raged on in the air and sea, at one point creating a temporary opening on the sea's surface; then, one of Vegeta's blasts resulted in a blinding flash for everyone on board.

"Wow..." Seika commented with narrowed eyes, "never thought the Prince could get this far."

"Well," his wife joined, "when it's about someone you love so dearly..."

The children uniformly gaped.

In the air, meanwhile--having expended nearly all of his newfound strength--Vegeta waited for any results of his most recent attack.

"*Pant...* *Pant...* ...Did it... work at all..?"

Still Beerus emerged unscathed.

"Ugh..! Darn, that was... almost everything I've got..!"

"What...?!" on deck, Trunks too was shocked. "What happened..? How could this be, Dad was winning..!"

"...Is that it?" up there Beerus inquired with casual indifference that could only be attributed to someone with phenomenal strength and self-composure. "Pathetic. With a blast that weak, it's clear your form is not that of Super Saiyan God... However," he added with a smirk, "this is first time in eons, you know, for me to actually use even ten percent of my strength. I applaud you--"

With a flick of his finger, Beerus negated his adversary's newfound form--and with another, sent him plunging back onto the deck; to be caught by Trunks and the sufficiently-recovered Bulma.

"Rest knowing you put more of a show to me that that other Saiyan I found in King Kai's planet!"

***

Poor Vegeta--but then, who performed most well against Beerus by this time? :D

Any opinions on why Saui was still holding back her son's desire, even when things had turned so dire?