Chapter 7

I jerk up, and sit against the headboard of the bed.  I try to remain impassive on the outside, but on the inside I’m freaking out.  I just got invited to go with One Direction to their next tour spot.  This is every girl, including my, dream.  But I can’t.  I have a job, I need to earn money.  I need to talk to Lucy.  Lucy is my other best friend.  Lucy gives the best advice.  I always go to her with anything I need, and she can provide the right advice, and she knows exactly how and when to say it, even if it’s difficult.  I slowly stand up. 

“I..Uhhh…I’m going to put on my pajamas.” I say to the boys. 

Since the second they invited me to go with them, they have all been eying me.  They want to know what’s going through my head, and I can’t let them know.  I don’t know how.  It’s beyond words how I feel.  I walk to the bathroom, and open my overnight bag.  I am so glad I decided to include pajamas, I almost just slept in what I was wearing.  I throw on my pink plaid Victoria’s Secret pants, and a pink tank to match.  I ruffle my hands through my hair, deep in thought.  I have to man up and go out there and say no.  My hands subconsciously grab my phone, and dial Lucy’s number.

“Hello?” She answers, obviously tired from impending sleep. 

“Lucy—I need your advice on something.  Let me explain the whole story, and then let me know what I should do.” I tell her.

“Sure, sure.  Tell me anything, love.” She answers, in a groggy voice. 

“Okay, so it all started at work….”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hang up the phone, and take a deep breath.   Even if I’m hurting their feelings, I have to tell them.  I just…I just can’t.

I leave the bathroom, and close the door behind me.  I lean against the door frame, and listen to the conversation outside me.

“What do you think she’s gonna say?”

“Yes, obviously.”

“How do you know that?”

I brace myself, and start to slowly walk down the hallway.  I’ve never rejected someone like this in my life, and of course my first time has to be international pop stars.  Go figure.  The second I enter the room, they all turn to look at me. 

“Took you long enough to change,” Niall said.

“I know..” I nervously chuckle.  I walk over to the bed, and sit down.  I lean back against the bed frame, and look at them.

“So…What’ll it be?  I reckon a yes!” Louis says to me.

“Well…How do I put this…” I say, frowning.  They start to sense my unease, and frown with me.  “I…I can’t go.  I have work, and preparations for college.”  I said.  I just looked down at the bed, and waited for a response.  But one didn’t come.  It was just silence.  Eventually, I feel a bounce on the bed.

“It’s fine, love.  We’ll be fine.  Go back to work.” Harry said, patting my back.

“I want to go!  But I’ll lose my job, and I have to prepare for college…I’ll be a broke college student.” I say, in desperation.

“If it makes you feel any better, you’ll be a broke college student either way…”Louis says, shrugging, with a cheeky grin.

I try to hold back a smile, and look away.  Right now isn’t a time to try and be funny.  Wait…Maybe I should enjoy my last time with them.  Considering once they leave I’ll probably be forgotten, I may as well make the best of it.