Episode 9: Illusions And Authenticity

After the loud bangs, I can hear Demi coughing underneath my arms. I let go of her as soon as I knew the cave had completely collapsed. The side of the mountain is nothing but a bunch of rocks. The whole way has been blocked. It's hard to look through the fumes of dust. I realize it soon enough, somebody is sabotaging our journey. But why? Aren't we supposed to travel towards this spirit of darkness? Demi turns around and looks at the mess that has been made. "Demi, you held those rocks on your own!" Kyra exclaims thunderstruck. "You saved us." Selena adds. It is true, she actually let go of her goal not to use her element, just to save us from those rocks. Demi's face brights up a bit. "Felt great, didn't it?" I say with a smile. "I didn't know it felt so powerful." "Earth definitely suits you." Demi thinks for a moment. "You guys, I'm sorry for being so against this. I thought that having such skills would make us different from who we are. I thought we actually had to turn into these forest witches Miley was talking about." She grins, so does the rest. "I was wrong. It just magnifies a part of us, in a good way." "I'm glad you understand now." I say. "Guys, look." Selena points to our view. There's a lot to see, but we all knew what she really referred to. You can see a castle, far in the distance. It is thin and vertical, the towers look very pointy. It sure looks like a castle of darkness. It's almost fairytale-like. "I guess there will be no break for us, let's just keep walking. I don't think we have another choice but to go through these woods." Demi sighs.

It was a scary thought to know that the girls and I were being watched. It's a statement we seemed to have made without ever speaking about it. We just know it, the four of us. The fire did not light up out of itself. The cave did not collapse out of itself, I felt it. I knew someone was sabotaging, but I have no idea who. They saw in my eyes that I was scared of someone intentionally trying to kill us, and thus they know the cave didn't just randomly tumble down. Even Kyra understood, even though she didn't know us that well yet.

-,,-

After walking a few miles down the mountain in the rain, we finally found a little awning next to a closed abandoned shed. We have been walking all day, and it was time to call it a night again. Since taking a break didn't go so well today, we decided that each of us would guard. We would take turns and I offered to be the first. The girls finally say goodnight after they settled their stuff. The rain is crashing against the odd awning and the water drips down in front of me. I'm dry, but I can feel every raindrop falling in front of me. The dark scenery in front of me is fascinating yet so depressing. The mist lies down over the woods. I pull my knees further to my chest and wrap my arms around them. It's cold. "Bring a jacket, Kyra." Miley had yelled hastily when she tried to pack her stuff as fast as possible. I didn't even know what that was, a jacket. Now I do. It's the thing that I didn't bring. I yawn, I'm glad I get to sleep soon. Suddenly, thunder can be heard in the distance. The lightning flashes closer and closer towards us. I turn my head towards the girls. They seem to sleep through every loud thunder. They must be exhausted from walking. I'm not tired of walking. I am used to walking distances like this, but I'm not surprised they're not. They have a 'car'. It's like the van I was being transported in before I got in my current house, but smaller and for fewer people. Lightning flashes just about a quarter of a mile away from us, down the hill. Near the hill are a river and a small jetty. Only now I notice a strange figure standing on it. I stretch my back to focus on it. I frown. It's a human, but it is not fully grown. Like a child. I get up and walk through the rain, trying to get closer to it. Maybe the child needs help? I quickly run down the hill until I finally reach the jetty. "Hello?" I yell through the rain that soaked me in the meantime. The child just stood there facing the river. I could barely see her due to the mist. "Are you okay?" I yell again. I step towards her and want to place a hand on her shoulder, but before my fingers touch her shoulder she turns around.

A face I have seen my whole life. A face so familiar. A face I trust completely. A face I used to take care of. A face that used to cry on my shoulders. A face that used to comfort me when I cried on hers. A face that looked like mine. A face that used to look up to me. A face that I looked up to. A face that I saw when it was born when I was small. A face I helped to raise. A face that I have seen in all perspectives. A face that I missed. A face that I cried about. A face that is my family. A face that is my sister. The face of Jyoti.