24: Whoopsie daisy

•••

Earlier...

Sherwin walked off to the cafeteria, leaving Jonathan behind with his two friends. He hoped that they weren't planning on hurting him, but he knew that if he went with, he'd probably make things worse. Sitting down at the far back table with his tray, the ginger picked up a fork and worked at his meat loaf. Before he could take a bite, though, someone plopped down beside him. Expecting to see Jon, Sherwin was shocked when his eyes met with Dante's.

"So, pumpkin face," Dante sneered. "Where's your little boyfriend?" Sherwin tried not to tremble or stutter as he answered.

"He's not...he's with Hayden and Bryan," he wheezed. Dante raised both eyebrows.

"He finally got the message, huh?" the jock chuckled. Sherwin's mouth opened in slight horror. Dante's laugh sounded like a dying horse. But more evil.

"W-what message?" he responded, clutching his fork in his lap. Dante just laughed harder.

"If you seriously can't figure it out, maybe this'll convince you." He slid his hand into his coat pocket, pulling out a small, thin piece of paper. It took Sherwin a moment to realize it was a photograph. Dante held it up, and Sherwin almost passed out when he saw what it was. There, in clear daylight, was an image of him and Jon kissing.

"You followed us!" Sherwin exclaimed, putting all the pieces together. "I can't...I..."

"Damn right I did," Dante said, leaning in. "And if you keep messin' around with my buddy Jon..." He held up the photograph, and Sherwin looked away, his face turning bright red. "The whole school will know about this."

Sherwin gulped, and gave a slight nod. He couldn't wrap his head around it all. Dante patted him on the arm. "Good," he said, then walked away to his table. Sherwin turned back to his uneaten food, and, having lost all appetite, just sat there. I can never be around Jonathan again, he thought as his lower lip trembled. This is all my fault. I should've realized what Jay was trying to warn me, I should've known...

Suddenly, a familiar voice sounded, and Sherwin saw Jon sitting next to him. Another glance at the table on his right revealed Dante staring at them intently. No, no, no...

"I-I gotta go," he stuttered, voice cracking, and picked up his things. I'm sorry! I love you!

Sherwin didn't dare look at Jonathan's face as he strode off. He could see his heartbroken expression in his mind, those sad, blue eyes.

I'm doing what I have to.

•••