27: I never plan out my writing, I'm just making the plot up as I go along.

•••
Listen to one of these with this chapter:

^ Breakeven by The Script

^ Secrets by One Republic

^ Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz

•••

"I can't stand this," Jonathan said as he lay there next to Sherwin, playing with his hair.

"Stand what?" Sherwin questioned, looking worried.

"Keeping everything secret," he sighed, resting his fingertips above the ginger's temple. He noted there were a few freckles sprinkled across his ear. "I don't ever want to have to ignore each other during school again."

Sherwin looked away. "You know what'll happen, though. It would just make everything worse."

"Well, at least we'd be free to do what we want!" Jon exclaimed, sitting up. The bed creaked in protest. "Once it's out there, people will eventually forget. Or at least, they wouldn't care. Dante can't keep that photo over our heads forever."

His friend just shrugged, still lying there with his brown eyes half closed. "I already know what it's like, being teased. I can't let it happen to you, too," Sherwin whispered. Jonathan leaned over and softly kissed the ginger's forehead.

"I'll be okay," he told him, lying back down. Their legs dangled off the edge of the bed. Jonathan's feet were planted firmly on the ground while Sherwin's swung loosely, his shoes barely grazing the tiled floor. He glanced outside the window. It was still light outside, thankfully, but not for long. They probably only had half an hour before Sherwin had to leave.

"Hey, I got an idea," Jonathan suddenly said, getting up. Sherwin sat up as well, looking at him curiously. "You wanna play hide and seek?"

The freckled boy raised his eyebrows. "But there's only two of us," he pointed out.

"Doesn't mean it won't be fun," Jon argued, helping Sherwin to his feet. "Here, I'll count to thirty. You can hide anywhere but my mom's room; she's taking a nap." His friend nodded, then bounded out of the room, presumably to go hide.

Jonathan stuffed his face into his pillow. "One, two, three, four..." he called out, trying to hear Sherwin's footsteps at the same time. By the time he finished, he still had no idea which direction Sherwin had gone. "Ready or not, here I come!"

Walking quietly, Jon made his way out into the hallway. He checked the storage closet first: nothing. Then, he tiptoed to the living room, checking behind chairs and beneath pillows. "Where are you?" he asked as he investigated the kitchen cabinets next. There weren't many places to hide in his house, so he was somewhat surprised at the difficulty of finding Sherwin.