Chapter 8

The sun dimly lit the forest. Thin rays of light shone through the trees, birds flying around and chirping.

Jaydon squinted as he slowly woke up. Raising up off the ground, he stopped. Soul had her head rested on his chest; hand curled, covering her face. He smiled a bit and rested his head down and put his hand to her back..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soul slowly opened her eyes, yawned, then rose her head up. Noticing she was on Jaydon, Soul began to faintly blush. She slowly began to get up, hesitated for a moment, kissed his cheek, and then headed off to go hunt for food.

She shifted into her wolf form. Dark black fur, and red eyes. She padded off through the forest, careful not to travel to far from the camp.

Her ears perked up as she stopped, a low growl erupted from her chest.

A smaller brown wolf came from behind a bush, it's head lowered in submission.

Soul growled to it "who are you?"

The wolf whimpered and shakily moved closer, swaying as it stepped.

Soul rolled her eyes and puffed her chest and tail, displaying herself larger "leave this area"

He slowly began backing off, then when he looked up, its eyes were bloodshot. It's lips curled back into a snarl, showing ragged teeth. The mouth began shivering as it started to foam up.

Soul stepped back from the shaking wolf.

Crap!

She snarled a warning as the wolf stumbled closer.

It clumsily launched at her, locking her on her back. Soul snapped at its throat, thrashing around under its weight. It bared its fangs and it's face got closer to her own.

Soul snarled and kicked him off, instantly twisting up. She circled it, then launched at the back of the neck.

With the flailing body under her grasp, Soul tightened her jaws on the wolves neck. Piercing through the skin, thick, hot blood seeped into her mouth. It then shrieked in pain and pulled out of her grasp, tearing the skin from its own body. The wolf turned it's head and glared to Soul, blood flowing from the wound.

Soul snarled and spit the wad of fur towards the rouge, taunting the mindless dog. It growled once again, it's body wobbling as it stood there. Slowly it made its way back over to her, lips pulled back, foam pouring over the teeth.

Soul cringed as it roared and launched at her, full blow. He smacked the side of her head, the blow nocking her down. Struggling to get back up, it pinned her back down. Snapping at its face, blood and saliva dripped down on her face. She snarled and stared into its cloudy eyes. Its jaws opened wide and pushed down.

Suddenly, before it's mouth had contact with her throat, it was tackled off of her. Soul rolled off and stood, watching the wolf twist around in the attackers grasp. A crackling snap came from the wolf and it's spine split. His body was lifelessly thrown to the ground, and Jaydon stood over it.

Soul shifted to her normal form and stood up, relieved.

"Are you ok?" Jaydon asked as he stepped over the mangled body.

"Yea, sure, I'm ok" Soul shivered as she thought; one bite from a wolf like that, she would have ended up like it.

"Was it... insane?"

"Might as well have been. It was mad, rabies"

Jaydon turned his head over to the dead wolf, eyes widened.