7 | Second Goodbye

With Erskine dead the SSR was scrambling to make sure their program didn't sink to the bottom of the ocean. That man stole the only remaining vial of serum in existence. We could've reproduced more, unfortunately Dr. Erskine was the only one who knew the formula.

Out of all of us, Colonel Phillips was very visibly upset by this setback. He wanted an army of super soldiers, but instead he's getting left with one. One he clearly didn't want in the first place.

"Colonel Phillips, my committee is demanding answers!" Senator Brandt yelled after us as we walked through Stark's lab where he was studying a submarine. The one that Hydra agent tried escaping in before Steve got to him.

"Great," The Colonel replied. "Why don't we start with how a German spy got a ride to my secret installation in your car?"

The senator ignored his teasing, and Phillips addressed Mr. Stark who was busy stripping apart the sub.

"What do we got here?"

"Speaking modestly I'm the best mechanical engineer in this country. But I don't know what's inside this thing, or how it works. We're not even close to this technology." Stark speculates.

"Then who is?" The senator demanded.

"Hydra" Phillips said. "I'm sure you've been reading our briefings." He added sarcastically.

"I'm on a number of committees, Colonel." The senator defended himself.

"Hydra is a Nazi deep science division. It's led by Johann Schmidt. But, he has much bigger ambitions." I informed the senator.

"You did your homework." Phillips said, mildly impressed.

"I always do." I nodded respectively. Out of the corner of my eyes, I can see Peggy and Steve entering the room. Them arriving together gives me a weird feeling, and I didn't like it.

"Hydra's practically a cult, they worship Schmidt, they think he's invincible." Philips turned back to the senator.

"So what are we gonna do about it?" The senator demanded.

Philips turns away from his and walks around the sub. "I spoke to the president this morning. As of today the SSR is being retasked."

"Retasked? To what?" I asked curiously.

"We are taking the fight to Hydra, so pack your bags. Both of you." He looks at Steve and Peggy. "You too Stark!" He hollers and Howard looks at us. "We're flying to London tonight."

"What about me?" I asked.

"You're training is complete. You'll go to the front lines, and there be assigned a couple dozen soldiers to lead into battle." He said flipping through some files.

The front lines. I'm going to the front lines. I know I wanted this, but now that it's a reality it kinda scares me.

I was too speechless to say anything so Philips started to walk away.

"Sir!" Steve stops him. Oh no. "If you're going after Schmidt I want in."

"You're an experiment. You're going to Alamogordo." Philips replies boredly.

"But the serum worked." He argues.

"I asked for an army and all I got was you. You are not enough." Steve doesn't argue this time and Philips walks away.

"With all due respect to the Colonel, I think we may be missing the point. I've seen you in action, Steve. More importantly, the country's seen it. Paper." Senator Brandt says and a man approaches them with a piece of paper that shows the recordings of enlistments. "The enlistment lines have been around the block since your picture hit the newsstands. You don't take a soldier, a symbol like that, and hide him in a lab. Son, do you want to serve your country on the most important battlefield of the war?"

"Sir, that's all I want." Steve replied eagerly.

"Then congratulations." Senator Brandt says to him. "You just got promoted."

Once the senator had left, I pulled Steve aside for a chat.

"Are you sure about this? Senator Brandt is a joke in the government. Whatever he has in mind for you I doubt you'll like it."

"He's the only one offering me a chance, Anna. I have to take it." He shrugs.

"Don't get anymore stupid ideas until I get back." I warned him.

"I'll try, don't win the war till I get there." He chuckled.

"I'll try." I whispered.

" I whispered