Out of the woods and into a smalltown

I hope you like!!! this is my first time uploading a story!!!

___________________________________________________________ 

Chapter One

I awoke to the sound of Betsey chirping in my ear, " Good Morning, good morning, to you! To you!"

" Ugh how can you be so damn cheery in the morning, Betsey? The sun hasn't even fully risen yet!"

" I don't know, it just comes naturally!!!" She sang. Betsey is a small brown bird with a white chest. Ever since i turned 16, I found that I could talk to animals, and Betsey has been like a mother to me ever since I stumbled into this clearing after... No I wouldn't think about it.

" Why'd you wake me up so early anyways? Today's my 18th birthday; I should be able to sleep in on my first day of adulthood."

" That's the whole reason I woke you up, silly! I don't want you sleeping your life away! Now come on, I made your favorite, eggs and walnuts." The tempting smell of fresh eggs and walnuts coming from our tree-stump table was the last little push that got me out of my comfy leaf bed. I barely had enough time to sit down before I started digging in.

" So what's on the schedule for today?" I managed to get out around a mouthful of baked walnuts.

" I tried not to give you too many chores since it's your birthday, so all you have to do is collect more firewood and you're free for the rest of the day!"

" Cool," I said happily as I finished eating and walked out the gate.

****************

When I got back to our clearing, I found it empty. Betsey probably went out to run a couple errands, I figured. I dumped the firewood in its little nook and was about to wonder what I would do with my day, when my thoughts were interupted by a loud, "SUPRISE!" coming from all around me.

"AGHHHHHHHHH!" I screamed in shock.

" It's party time, Becca!" Bay the deer said in delight. Deer don't talk much, but they love to party.

" I told you guys I didn't want a party!"

" Oh we know, we just figured you had to have one since it's your first day being an official adult," Bay informed me. "We also have to make it super special, 'cause today is also the first day of little Katrina's life." She beamed at that last part.

" HOLY CRAP OPAL HAD HER BABY?" Opal had been expecting for a while now, and we all knew her baby would come any time now. She is also Bay's mom.

" Yep, born last night," She smiled proudly.

" And you didn't tell me this until now because...?"

" We wanted to wait until your party so you could have an even more of a fun time."

" Well it worked. Now let's celebrate!!!"

The party was super fun with music sung by the mockingbirds and lots of dancing from every species. The rabbits even supplied a birthday cake.  

The sun was going down when the festivities finally started to come to a close. It was a tradition in the forest for everyone to sleep in the host's house, so every one went home real fast to get their bed supplies. While they were gone, Betsey and Frumpy, another bird but with a green body and brown wings, took me to see Opal's baby, Katrina.

When we got there, Katrina had her eyes closed in sleep. She looked so serene just laying there.

"Oh she's so beautiful," Frumpy adored.

She really was beautiful. She looked like a mini version of Bay but with an even darker brown coat and more spots on her rump. Her face was even white like Bay's.

" Now I'm sorry to cut your visit short, but I don't want to wake up Kat. You can come visit her again in the morning when she's awake." Opal whispered.

" Fine," I replied reluctantly. For some reason my gut was telling me I wouldn't be able to see her any time soon. I pushed my long light brown hair out of my face, which for some reason, chose that exact moment to fall out of its practically permanent bun. As we started walking back to our clearing, more hair kept falling out. It was only when we got to the clearing did I realize my hair tie broke.

"Hey guys, I'll be right back," I told the animals, who were starting to arrive, back from their homes, along with all their supplies. I ran out of the clearing until I found the old morning glory plant. Then, I picked up a vine and stripped it of leaves and flowers. Doing the same with a couple others, I twisted them together until I had a strong band. I pulled my hair back into a bun, which tied up with my makeshift band. To add personal flavor, I put one of the beautiful deep blue flowers in my hair. After I was all done, I checked my face in the nearby stream. My face was all grungy, so I kneeled down and started washing it. Standing up, I looked myself over, and decided I needed a new dress, for my brown one had a few tears. I would have to ask the mice to make me another one tomorrow. They should make this next one a jade color. Jade is my favorite color. I was almost named Jade, but when my eyes were a brown color like my mom's instead of the jade color my dad has, they named me Rebecca and settled with Jade for my middle name. Rebecca Jade Anderson. That name hasn't been used in 2 years. Not since...

When thoughts of... it... came up, I hurried my slow, meandering walk to a brisk jog.

When I eventually got back to camp, it was deserted. Why did everyone leave? I wondered. Were they planning another suprise party? Or what if.. Oh no! What if someone was coming! That would cause everyone to flee. But people never come this deep into the woods. That's how I've survived here for the past two years. If someone came, I'd surely be caught! Oh but I musn't think that way, I told myself. It's probably nothing.

All of a sudden, I heard rustling coming from behind me. When I turned around, I was staring straight into the eyes of... Shit! A man!  

________________________________________________________________________

Do you like? Should I write more? Hints? Tips? Advice?