1.9

—One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Jimin attends school on Monday as usual, he waves goodbye to his mom and all but runs to his locker. He finds Taehyung waiting for him already, a sad smile taking place on his lips but a smile nonetheless. His hand works speedily, putting in the combination and pulling the metal door open. He scans his eyes over the locker's content until his eyes land on the Chemistry textbook and pulls it out along with his binder. Taehyung helps him by holding his backpack wide open, and when they're done, he slams the locker door shut.

"Feeling better Tae Tae?" he decides to ask once he's got his backpack over his shoulder.

"I ain't gon' cry over it again, so I guess you could say I am doing a little better," Taehyung puts on a front, his straight teeth coming into full display, to any other person it may seem genuine, but Jimin knows it's all for show.

He sighs, wrapping his arm around Taehyung's waist and pulling him forward through the hall, "You don't have to lie, it's okay to be upset y'know?"

"Yup," Taehyung responds, "I know, but that ain't gon' solve anything Chim, I'm not going to mope around for someone who isn't worth it," Jimin groans in return, his fingers grabbing a bit of skin on his friend's stomach and pinching it hard enough to make him squeak.

"Jin is a nice guy Tae, maybe you just need to make it clear to him what you want." Taehyung hums but remains in silence until they are already standing outside of their classroom.

"You need to mind your business Chim," Taehyung actually grins cheekily, "Stop trying to fix my pathetic love life and focus on yours."

Jimin looks at him bewildered, "What the heck are you talk—" Jimin stops, notices the way his friend wiggles his eyebrows at him suggestively, "You need to spill the tea buddy, I've spent so much time whining on the weekend, that I didn't even get to ask about the cabbage head," Jimin's cheeks turn a peachy pink color in embarrassment, "Shut up Tae," he whisper-shouts, pushing Taehyung inside the room and toward their seats.

There's only a few other students in class at the moment, the bell not going off until 5 more minutes. They take a seat together towards the back of the room, Jimin begins taking out his materials, hoping that Taehyung would drop the subject if he continued to ignore him.

"I never pegged you for his type y'know," Taehyung adds, "You are such a goody-two-shoes, way too soft and smart for someone like him." Jimin drops his pencil, glaring daggers at him, "And you even got drunk, dude, you should have seen your face when you we're high, you were giggling non stop for like ten minutes. Then when the alcohol started taking effect, you looked like you were about to cry because you said you were a bad son," Taehyung laughed obnoxiously loud, his face started turning a darker shade of brown, and his eyes became watery. Jimin however, didn't find anything funny about what he'd just said.

"It's not funny Tae, you were suppose to not let me drink, much less smoke weed," Jimin reasoned.

"It was a party! I can't tell you what you can and can't do, you're old enough to make your own decisions," Taehyung giggled, "Plus, I don't think you would have made out with Yoongi hyung if you weren't under the influence of something," He threw an evil smirk in his direction, "You're a horrible friends y'know," Jimin moaned into his arm. "Quit being such a baby, you know you liked the way he slid his tongue down your thro—," Taehyung's inappropriate remark was interrupted by the rest of the class coming in.

"Good morning class," the teacher said when almost everyone was done taking their seats. A few minutes later, the door was pulled open yet again, the familiar mop of teal hair making an appearance. Jimin's heart started beating twice as fast, the breakfast he'd eaten a couple hours ago threatened to make its way out of his mouth. He gulped when Yoongi walked in nonchalantly, completely ignoring the teacher saying something about being counted late.

Jimin held his breath as Yoongi made his way through the rows, he felt a jab to his ribs, causing him to jerk towards Taehyung and telling him to quit. Taehyung however, had other plans.

"You better not let Hyuna know you left those hickies on her man." He whispered. Jimin turned back around to glare at him and tell him to shut up, but then his words repeated over and over in his head. Jimin turned towards the front when he felt him standing beside him, he raked his eyes all across Yoongi's face and down his neck. Angry red marks adorned his pale neck, mocking him, reminding him yet again, of what he can't have.

Jimin felt betrayed in a way, but he couldn't bring himself to be angry. He was upset, and he did want to cry and ask for answers. However, he couldn't let his emotions get in the way. He greeted Yoongi as normal as he could, as if that kiss had never happened, as if the lone butterfly in his tummy had suddenly disappeared.

"Morning' hyung," he smiled, but his cheeks didn't meet his eyes.

"Good morning," Yoongi mumbled, his eyes not even meeting his. Jimin stared while Yoongi took out his phone and played some music on his headphones, drowning out the loud chattering, including himself.

Jimin watched him for a few more seconds, choosing to let it go and pretend like nothing happened between them. If Yoongi wanted things to be that way, then he wouldn't fight it. Being friends is more than enough, as long as we're friends we'll be fine, nothing's going to change, he should not be feeling upset if Yoongi is sleeping with someone else, Yoongi does not belong to him, etc, etc, etc. Class passed by in a flash, or perhaps it only seemed that way because he kept repeating those things to himself.

Surely, being friends is more than enough, right?