Chapter 1 (new)

George Cooper Jr, other wise known as Georgie, felt in the shadows in comparison to his younger brother Sheldon, at least a far as his mother was concerned. His father is his football coach, and is constantly shaping him into being the star athlete of the family. Though his grades were lacking, he was required to pass in order to keep playing sports. Being a freshman in high school with your nine year-old brother in the same English class as him was nothing short of irritating.

He doesn't get bullied (being on the football team grants him immunity), but he beats up anyone that talks about Sheldon. However, bad decisions (like, say, getting a detention for hurling wads of paper at Julia Swanson while the teacher's back was turned) tend to land him trouble more often than not. It was things like this that Missy liked to use as reasons why he didn't have a girlfriend. Georgie hardly cared; he had more important things to worry about, school, church, and football being some of them.

Georgie was running to his after school football practice, he was going to be late. He was running past the music room when he heard the most beautiful singing voice that he's ever heard through the door. She was singing Jessie's Girl. Georgie didn't care about missing practice or if his dad's gonna make him run laps around the track until dark. All he wanted to do was listen to this girl sing.

He was leaning along the doorway of the room when the girl turned around. Georgie recognised her as a girl in his American History class, but didn't remember her name. Her soft dark brown curly hair fanned out as she turned around, startled.

"Um hi?" The girl said.

Georgie stared unabashedly. "You've got a nice voice." He said, with his usual bluntness. He immediately regretted it.

She smiled at him, and Georgie felt his heart swell. She gathered up her backpack, checking her watch as she did. "I'm sorry, but I have to go. I didn't realize how late it was getting." The girl grabbed her sheet music and shoved it in a folder. "I'm Miranda, by the way." Her Texan accent was heavy.

"I'm George but everyone calls me Georgie." He stuck out his hand just like he did at church when he greeted the pastor. "I've got to go to football practice, but I'll see ya around."

"Okay. Bye Georgie!" Miranda called as she hurried away.

----

Miranda Wolfe didn't want to go back home, to her foster parents, and their daughter Madison. Sure they were nice, and were thinking of adopting her. It hadn't even barely been a year yet, though, and she wasn't sure she was ready. Her parents and older brother died in a car crash, and she still had nightmares of that night. She just sometimes wants to be alone, alone with her thoughts and her music. Singing is her safe haven. It reminds her of when her and her mother would listen to the radio and sing Jessie's Girl around the kitchen while cooking.

Miranda hummed Jessie's Girl as she made her way (albeit slowly) home. All she can think about is Georgie, the football boy with the curly brown hair and the crystal blue eyes. She had American History with him tomorrow, and hopefully they can talk more then. She laughs, for the first time in a long time, the giggle bubbling up from her throat and a grin blossoming on her face as she remembers the encounter. But nerves soon followed, and she quickly began scrutinizing every word that had passed between them, every tone of exchange. She couldn't remember quite clearly, and prayed she hadn't stumbled over her words to much. By now, even returning home couldn't ruin her good mood.