Chapter 4: Friendship

Yan Da's POV

Afternoon came...

Yun Fei and I are headed to see the chief. I have a gut feeling that Ka Suo and his envoy guardian are there.

Entering the place, I indeed saw the two.

"Why? Who are you?" I heard the chief ask him quite violently. I smirked. I wonder if he will still act like that if he knew.

"Let me tell you who he is," I said making our presence known. "He is Prince Ka Suo of the Ice tribe."

I then stopped in front of the said prince, facing him. He scowled, making me laugh. I don't like you too.

Looking at the chief, I saw his demeanor change. Now, happily smiling at Ka Suo. Tsk, obsequious. "So, chief did you tell them yet?"

"Tell us what?" Ka Suo asked, frowning.

The chief laughed nervously. He then approached Ka Suo looking like a wounded lamb. Irritating me more. No wonder this tribe is so weak. Their leader is sooo... argh! How pathetic!

"I'm sorry, Prince Ka Suo but the ice leaf that you're looking for has been lost for years."

Ka Suo's eyebrows furrowed, thinking. "I see. Chief is it okay if we stay here for a while?"

The chief nodded eagerly. "Of course, your highness. You are welcome to stay here as long as you like."

I smirked, hiding my irritation. The chief's sweet talk is grating on my nerves.

"Well, I guess we will be all here for Prince Huang Tuo's wedding." I said about to leave when my eyes caught something.

Yun Fei shocked expression while looking at the envoy guardian. She was also staring at him in surprise.

My eyebrow rose, studying them. "Yun Fei?"

"Huh?" he said, looking at me.

"Is there something wrong?"

"N-nothing." He answered. Liar~

My eyes narrowed, zeroing on the envoy guardian. She met my gaze.

Heh, she's pretty brave.

Giving her one last look, I turned my back and left the room.

In my room...

"Father," I immediately said when I entered the room and saw his floating image. This is our way of communicating. It's like a two-way mirror except both of us can see each other.

"What did the Chief of the Healer Tribe say?"

"He told us that the ice leaf has been lost for years." I replied, sitting down. Then meeting his gaze.

"And you believe him?"

I laughed. "Of course not, even an insect could see that he was lying."

"Remember Yan Da, your main goal right now is to get the Ice leaf. Ignore Ka Suo and focus on that."

"Of course father," I said bowing. He then ended our conversation.

Silence enveloped my room. Subtly, I let my gaze pass quickly at the only person who is with me in the room. Well, he looked uncomfortable.

"So, are you going to stand there all day?" I said, casually looking at my nails.

"E-er... Do you have something for me to do?"

I smirked, meeting his eyes. "There is in fact but before that I need to know..."

I stood up walking closer towards him. "What is your relationship with Ka Suo's envoy guardian?"

He looked nervous. Eyes wide as he looked into mine.

"Well?"

"N-nothing. I just met her a while ago when I was first looking around." He explained.

"Mmm, really? Then why do you look disappointed?" I asked, lifting his chin up. My gaze serious demanding an answer.

He gulped, avoiding my gaze. "I just thought that she could be my friend."

"Friend?" I repeated. My serious demeanor crumbling a bit.

He nodded. I studied him. He looked quite sad.I guess he really wanted to befriend her. Sadly, he can't.

I let my thumb brush his cheek softly, trying to comfort him even for a bit. So, he's like me. All my life I've been wanting someone to be my real friend too. However, my family ,as my father said, don't have friends. Only enemies.

"Unfortunately, you can't be friends with her. She is our enemy." I told him bluntly. Maybe someday. I quietly uttered in my mind. If I'll become queen.

"I know." He softly said. I sighed, letting him go.

"Cheer up."  I said, smiling at him. " You and I can be friends."

"Really!?" He exclaimed in surprise. I chuckled.

"Aa. But you still have to call me Princess and Your Highness if anyone is around. Understood?" I said, marveling in his smile. Honestly, I love his smiles. They suit him better than a frown.

"Roger that, your highness!" He stated, jokingly.  I laughed. Jeez, only a few hours with him and I'm like this. You know, he's the only one who could make me laugh sincerely. I'm glad I met him.

"Now, on to your mission..." I said after our laughing session.

"Friendship is the start for what you call love."

-Abraham Lincoln