Chapter 2

Again I Go Unnoticed

I know it's him. How can I forget? He hasn't changed much. Still has that hooligan look. Still handsome. And yes, still a player. Be it with a guy or a girl. No, he hasn't changed at all.

I just started my first year residency at Bangkok International Hospital, and for real, it's not a walk in the park. Being a first year, I have to answer to a lot of heads from different departments. The only advantage I have for now is that I finished med school in the US., but that doesn't mean I can take things easy. Although I love what I do, I get tired and stressed too.

Like tonight.

My colleagues invited me to join them for a couple of drinks, and I said no, yet I find myself in this bar alone. I've only been out of the country for four years to finish my studies, and I can say a lot of things have changed especially here in Bangkok. I didn't really go out that much back then, so almost everything is new to me now. I guess I need more time for myself, so I can get familiar again with the ways of life in my homeland. I was always a loner anyway. Thanks to good friends I met in college, Pring and the gang, they made my student life easier.

Now I didn't know what pushed me to stop and enter this bar. I never used to drink in places like this before, so maybe that's why I was challenged to try. It said in the sign outside, there's a house band playing tonight. Saints and Sailors? What kind of band name is that? There's only one way to find out.

It's dark and loud inside as expected. It's only 10PM, but it's already quite filled with people looking to loosen up on a Friday night. I took the corner table to avoid any human contact except of course with the guy who'll be taking my order. I prefer it this way. I don't want to talk right now. I only want to people-watch. This house band sounds good anyway although I can't really see them from where I'm sitting. Doesn't matter. I'm not really into this kind of music after all.

After what seemed like an hour or so and not less than 3 bottles of beer, I felt the need to go to the bathroom. There are 3 stalls inside, and as I have read somewhere, taking the middle one is the best choice, so I did. While inside, I heard people entering the restroom, but it's kinda weird because I know I went to the right john. Or did I? Because I could hear a woman's voice.

I get it. These two are planning on doing something. I better get out before my ears bear witness to this unbecoming conduct.

I made sure to flush the toilet before slowly opening the door, but I think that was a wrong move. I might've interrupted these love birds thinking they were alone in here. I gotta get out quickly. Too late. The gorgeous lady whom this guy was doing business with has already rushed out of the cubicle, and unfortunately she got out before I could. So there she goes with her disappointed look on her face while the unlucky guy is left here with me buttoning his half-open shirt. I couldn't help but stare at him. I'm not that naïve, but I was looking at him probably because I think I know him. But nah. It's an impossibility. I just walked to wash my hands and left anyway.

This time, I took one of the tables in front of the stage. Maybe it's time I appreciate this band's efforts to entertain the crowd. I ordered a bottle of Singha Lager Beer. The number of bottles I will consume from here on will depend on the performance of this band.

They're great actually. I might've overstayed I think. The reason is because the guy singing and playing the guitar and the one I encountered in the rest room are one and the same. It's not just that. I guess I was right when I thought I recognized him. But I can't be so sure about it. I haven't seen him for a long time, so I don't know how he looks right now. Whatever, I will just enjoy their show.