Chapter 8

The Best Deceptions

It's been silent since we got in the car. It'll be a thirty to forty-minute drive back to the main city, and as far as I remember, I haven't had dinner yet, and neither has Pha. I'm sure because I dragged him all the way here right after he got to his apartment.

Honestly, I didn't need to, and it was foolish that I forced him to go with me to get my car back, but what can I do when I've already run out of ideas just to see him. I think he feels guilty that I left my car here, so I guess it was alright for him to come with.

He even let me sleep on his shoulder.

I was only pretending to be sleepy, and that was the best way I could think of to get a little close to him, but when I felt that he tried to make me feel comfortable, I couldn't help but fall asleep after all. When he used his hand to keep my head from falling off his shoulder, it made me feel special.

Took me back to those days when we were in college.

FLASHBACK

"Here."

I shifted my gaze from my books to the hands of somebody offering me a sandwich and a can of soda. I didn't really have to guess because I know his voice very well. Lately, I've been swamped with school work and extra hazing tasks that sometimes I can't help but skip lunch.

I'm at the Student Hall using my very short free time to read some chapters that will be included in the upcoming midterm exams. The first semester is halfway through. I am about to lose my mind here.

Pha and I were supposed to eat lunch together, but I canceled it last minute, and I told him I had to finish some school stuff. He didn't mind at all. Clearly, med students are busier than we are, so I'm sure he understood. Now, here he is bringing me food. He must've known my schedule very well. He might even care about me after all.

I looked up to see his face. I smiled at him when our eyes met, but he only gave me a sneer.

How long have we been doing this, and he's still showing me two sides of him: the Ice King right now for lacking emotions contradicting being Mr. Charming for going out of his way to bring me lunch.

He took the seat in front of me and started staring at me. I accepted the food he brought.

Now, I admit I am starving, but how will I be able to focus on eating if he sits there and stares at me the whole time? He's not even smiling, just looking at me. I must say I feel a little shy now. Thank goodness, I don't blush as much.

"Thanks." is all I could say.

"Eat them now." Wow. Bossy much? When did he develop this kind of attitude?

"I'll eat after I finish reading this chapter." I had to bargain.

"I won't leave unless you start eating."

Oh I get it! He cares about me! When did it start?

I can only feel his coldness and indifference when we're together, and now this. I feel like kissing him right this moment. Self-control, Forth. Act decent.

I raised both my hands to show him my surrender. Then, I took the sandwich and started taking it out of its wrapper. He's still staring.

"What? I'm going to eat it now." I told him.

He shrugged his shoulders and gave me his signature smirk. Can I kiss him now?

After I took the first bite, I smiled at him. Then, he got up and started walking away, but before he got too far, he looked back and said, "Study hard."