Chapter 14

Vindicated

I managed to survive my shift thanks to Doctor Hudson for allowing me to take some time to attend to Forth's needs first. Thankfully, today isn't that toxic at the ER. The thoughts of Forth being in an accident and eventually being treated on a hospital bed at the ER still give me the creeps.

Although I know he's okay now, I still can't get myself to stop worrying.

We may be in a strange situation right now, we haven't even had a decent talk especially about that night when we kissed, but I am still the same Phana who will always worry about Forth.

I guess one day soon, we're going to have to talk about it. Our current feelings towards each other can be categorized as unstable and uncertain, but when I think about how Forth has been acting, I can't help but think that he still has or he may have re-acquired his affection towards me.

And how about me? Should I let myself escape the fact that I have been uncontrollably emotional seeing him in that situation? What would Forth think? It might give him something to look forward to.

It isn't something that is bad. I just think it will only complicate things. The years spent without having each other may have brought in a lot of things to consider. That's why this shouldn't be rushed, whatever it is.

A couple of minutes after 10 o'clock and I'm off duty.

I headed directly to Forth's room and checked his records. Everything seems to be fine. I found him sleeping, so I took the opportunity to stare at his face. Bruised and wounded but definitely still attractive. I took the seat next to his bed and had my eyes on him for so long it brought back memories.

FLASHBACK

I am on my way to the airport with just a small piece of luggage. I didn't have enough time to prepare for this trip as I wasn't really planning on leaving until last night's incident. If I don't go, my head will just explode thinking of how I could possibly face Forth and ask him how he was able to do that.

I know I don't have the right to act this way because it's my fault that I let myself get too deeply attached to him emotionally that I didn't realize I could get hurt. And I never had the guts to tell him or even show him. Blame it on my ability to not show any emotions.

However, sometimes I felt like I have given him some hints. It was up to him how to evaluate those. Most of the time, Forth acted differently around me.

It's as if I was someone special to him, almost like a boyfriend, the way he chose to spend time with me rather than his friends and the way he was being possessive of me. Who wouldn't be under the assumption that Forth has developed a liking towards me?

Anyway, here I am on my way to forgetting everything. This short trip alone might give me some new perspective about life and how to overcome Forth.

I only sent messages to Pring and Kit, but didn't have enough time to explain. I guess Pring could tell why, and one of the things I really love about her is that she always respects my decision and supports me all the way.

I believe she knew and understood what happened last night and the fact that she never asked further questions means she trusts my decisions.

An hour left before my flight and my phone hasn't stopped ringing and beeping with all the calls and messages I'm getting from Forth. I keep ignoring them since I haven't found the reason not to. I am getting on this plane to clear my head, and I am afraid that if I hear his voice, I will easily give in.

I remain seated waiting to board, and all I can do is just look at the pictures of Forth and me in my phone. There's not a lot, but they all bring good memories from the time we first met until the day before the party. I don't really like having my photos taken, but it's always him who would grab my phone and click on the camera even when there's nothing special going on.