Chapter 7

Broken Hearts and Concrete Floors

I'm not sure if I heard it right.

I must be too drunk or high in love.

Did he really say he didn't deserve me? Or was it the other way around?

Deep inside, that kiss meant something to me. Lying to myself will only make things worse, and why would I want to get hurt?

I think I heard it right when he said he'd earn my trust first. Again.

That could only mean he knew he had done something to hurt me. It's his decision to leave me tonight.

Should I be happy? Should I be sad? I'll think about it when I open my eyes.

For now, the only thing I know is that I'm tired.

He turned off the lights and closed my bedroom door. He showed himself out.

He left me speechless with a kiss on my forehead.

That should make things right.

I'll worry tomorrow.

Nothing beats waking up on your own bed the morning after. My eyes automatically opened even before my alarm started ringing. I've been staring at the ceiling for minutes now. I know I've gotta get to work, but my body and my mind have conspired and got me thinking that staying in bed is the best thing right now. A little flashback of last night's events might be able to do the trick.

I knew that I was on the verge of giving in when I invited Forth to come inside. I didn't expect him to do so although deep inside, I wanted it. With the spirit of alcohol in me, my head got so messed up that I don't even remember why I was angry at him. From the moment I saw him at the bar up until he left me in my room, I already knew. He still has that effect on me.

It's like a computer virus entering my system attacking me from within. I didn't even know it until it was too late. But is it really too late? We just met again three nights ago after how many years. How could I be sure that I am still infected? Wasn't it all too fast? Wasn't it all just delusion?

It's not like an illness that my skill can cure. Why don't I just let it run its course?

Time. Time is my only weapon. If I am still hurt but also still attached, what choice do I have but time.

His kisses. My response. Our bodies in rhythm. Aren't those enough?

I guess not. Maybe he's right. If this could be the start of something better for the two of us, we should take baby steps to avoid screwing it up. How fate can really play with our lives when we all think we're happy and pleased with what we have, something always comes up.

Deep breaths, Pha. You'll get there when you get there. For now, get your ass up.

A hot shower can really turn things around. I exit the shower and head to my closet to get dressed. Today, I'll play it cool. It's a regular day, a possibly stressful Monday, and it won't be complete without a cup of coffee. I drove by a café to get myself one then I headed to the hospital.

I'm a little amped up to start the day because I'll be working closely with Doctor Hudson. And the fact that we got along pretty well yesterday makes me believe that we're going to have a good working relationship maybe even better when I was still her student.

I clocked in ten minutes before my shift starts which is at 10AM. I went straight to the TeleMedicine HQ first to check any new info or updates, said hello to other colleagues then went on to the ER. I found Doctor Hudson already doing observations during some emergency procedures. I feel thankful that today, there isn't any urgent matter to attend to but just normal, simple cases.