before.

' before it all

' before it all. '

★ ★ ★

L U C K Y 8

_______________

GAZING AT THE GLEAMING WATERS of the quarry was like staring into Verity's eyes. A vibrant blue glittering like diamonds catching light. The beauty was daring, tormenting as its still form flowed beneath the five losers. The anticipation hung heavy in the sweltering air; no one dared to step forward. In their undergarments, Verity, Eddie, Bill, Stanley, and Richie stood before the edge of the cliff.

"Ver, maybe you should go. You know, ladies first and all." Richie interjected the silence, motioning towards the edge of the cliff with his hands, a smug look tracing his features.

She crossed her arms over her chest, a daunting smile curling the ends of her lips upwards. "Only when it benefits you, huh, Rich. I was thinking we jump together."

"You and I? Like the two of us down there? Alone?" he challenged with a snicker, prodding a finger under his chin and pretending to ponder. "Oh, oh, okay," he said. "So I can be down there alone with you? Gee, I always knew I was irresistible, but-"

An annoyed Stanley cut Richie off with a scoff, "Shut the hell up."

"You know what? Fine, I'll jump. Be a pussy then, Richie."

Richie merely shrugged at the girl. She stepped back slowly, loosing a breath. She stepped forward. Once. Twice. Then, she was falling through the air, her heart falling alongside. She emitted a strangled scream before she plunged into the waters and her heart went back into place.

"Verity, are you okay?" she heard Eddie's frantic voice calling out to her. Verity arose from the water, pushing her hair back before giving the boys a thumbs up. Seconds after, they began jumping themselves into the quarry's sparkling water.

"See, it wasn't that bad," Verity said, a small smile finding its way to her face, lighting her eyes up. A diamond catching light.

"Do you have any single friends?" Richie neared the girl, his arm snaking around her frail neck.

"Yes, Richie, my cat."

For the following hour, they swam around, playing around in the water. They all retrieved themselves from the water when they'd tired themselves of continuous games. They climbed out onto the vibrant grass where they'd rest and get dressed.

★ ★ ★

"Hey, who is that?" Richie squinted, pointing towards the woods as he cleaned the dirt off his thick-rimmed glasses.