Chapter 1

Did you know about 99.9% of teenagers have the best summers of their lives in when they finish their sophomore year? Yeah well I happen to be the made up .01%. I spend my summer babysitting, eating, surfing around on the internet, and sleeping. I don’t like the pool, or beach! Tanning just isn’t my thing. Partying? PSH, I have no friends. Being 15 I thought I would have grown from this but, it’s hard for me to try something new. Same old, same old, it’s what I do.

“ALINA, I NEED TO TALK WITH YOU!”

Goodness can’t my mom see I’m getting ready?

So I screamed back to her, “MOM I’M GETTING READY FOR MY JOB, AND YOU’RE ALL THE WAY DOWN STAIRS!”

Her sigh was so dramatic and loud. Yet I heard her feet patter against the steps as she walked up the stairs.

“Alina, I’ll be walking in with you to this family’s house since I do not know them,”

I rolled my eyes at her comment. She’s so over protective.

“Mom, I’m going to be babysitting them this whole summer! You can’t walk me in; I want to make a good impression,” I tried to convince her.

Honestly I just didn’t want to look like a weirdo with an over protective mom to them. I might be one but they don’t need to know that.

“Fine but I will be driving you! No buts!” My mother demanded.

I nodded obliging to her.

“Shouldn’t you be there by 9am?” My mom questioned me.

I peered over at the clock. It was 8:30 and I was only half way ready!

“MOM GET OUT I NEED TO GET READY!”

I pushed her out the door, locking it. Quickly through on clothes and makeup since I had already straightened my hair. Hey it might be a babystitting job but a girls gotta look nice.

It was now 8:50 and it was a 10 minute drive. Just perfect.

“MOM HURRY I’M GOING TO BE LATE ON THE FIRST DAY!”I panicked to my mother.

We hurriedly got into the car and sped down to the Grier’s house. Making it with a minute to spare. I dusted myself off and stepped out of the car, while giving myself a mental pep talk.

‘Come on Alina you can do it! It’s just a little girl you’ve met before... What was her name? Oh shit I forget her name!’

I started to panic, but I quickly calmed down before my mom could step out of the car. I really don't want nor need her coming to help me. 

“Here goes nothing,” I announced to no one but myself as I went to knock on the door.

As I put all my weight into the knock someone opened the door. Needless to say since I didn’t knock, I fell. Right in front of a boy about a year younger than me.

‘Shit another kid?’ I thought to myself.

“Um do you need help?” The boy asked.

I blushed from embarrassment and got up on my own. While I dusted myself off I turned around to see my mother staring at me.

“Hi I’m your babysitter for this summer, Alina,” I said sticking out my hand for him to shake.

He looked at me weird but shook my hand in return. “Hi I’m Hayes, come in,”

As we shut the door to his house I felt relieve I couldn’t feel my mom’s eyes burning through the back of me.

“Here I’ll be the gentleman of the house and show you around,” Hayes told me