Chapter Seven - Deceptions

Start writing your story

Eyes hard and flat. Resolve in them; resolve that had turned aside at the last minute, true, but Allan had never seen that look on Robin turned against him before. He'd nearly died, that day, when Robin first discovered he was the traitor, and Allan knew it. For all Robin said he didn't kill, he was a man who did what was necessary. To protect Marian, his king, and his friends - and in that order, Allan suspected - he knew full well that Robin would kill.

But that day in the tavern, he'd had some of the luck he was so fond of trading in. Robin had let him live. He wasn't sure his luck would hold true the next time, which was why he found himself now in the unlikely position of defying Guy of Gisborne, someone else who could just as easily spit him on his sword. He supposed it said something about the nature of what he did, both then and now, when death-by-employer was a very real hazard of the job.

"I'm not doin' it. He'll kill me."

"And what makes you think I won't?" growled Gisborne.

"I don't. So, go on then, if you plan to, but I'm not riding out into that forest just to become target practise."

"I thought that wasn't Hood's way."

"You haven't seen him when he's been betrayed."

"Oh, I think I have," Gisborne said dourly.

Too late, Allan recalled the whole unfortunate tattoo business, and decided it was time to change the subject.

"But there might be another way...I'll see what I can do."

Which was why, now, he was skulking in a Nottingham alley, waiting for the usual Tuesday food drop. He wondered who'd come. He wasn't sure who he would most, or least, want to face. Not Robin, of course. With Djaq, he'd be safe, but he could imagine the hurt and disappointment in her face, and he thought that might be worse than the clout Little John was likely to dole out with his staff, or Much's flurry of recriminations, or Will's.... yes indeed, just how would Will treat him? He didn't like to think about that either, any more than he did of Djaq.

Perhaps they'd changed the day - he was almost hopeful they had, though reporting failure to Gisborne was never pleasant. Perhaps they thought he'd give this knowledge away, just as he'd revealed their entry points into the castle.

Resentment bubbled up in him, then. Innocent betrayals.... there's no such thing. Robin with right on his side, Allan thought bitterly. He'd made a plea for understanding, and all he'd received in return was a blistering "Is that supposed to be an excuse?" Course it wasn't. But it didn't change the fact Robin had no idea what the reality was for the likes of him, and didn't care. Robin didn't understand him at all. Couldn't he see the edge of the blade he flirted with now, one that could cut him either way, for the sake of the gang? Trying to keep himself ingratiated with Guy and the sheriff, while giving nothing away that really mattered, like the location of their camp.

A suspicious movement caught his eye then, and a flash of copper hair beneath a cowl. Allan moved around the stalls until he was closer, needing a better look. It was her. He reached out and grabbed Marian's elbow, startling her. She dropped the sack she was carrying.

"Oi, what are you....hhmmmph...."

That same elbow thumped back into his chest, winding him.

"It's you!" she hissed, her eyes flashing in anger. "What on earth were you thinking, creeping up on me like that? I'm trying to avoid attention."

"The best way to do that would be to stay out of Nottingham. What are you doing here?" he asked. "I'm surprised Robin let you...."

He caught the flicker of something in Marian's eyes before she looked away.