Chapter Twenty-Three - Falling Dice

Robin halted them in a gully. Dismounting, they scrambled up the dune to lie prone and peer over it. A half-mile distant there lay a cluster of monochrome buildings, blending with its desert surrounds in the lightening air.

"They'll hear us coming," Much observed, "if we ride in."

"Exactly. Which is why we leave the horses and walk," said Robin.

He glanced at the king; he was tempted to try and persuade him to wait here, until they'd flushed out the traitors and had the situation under control. But he knew better. Robin had ridden with the king often enough, in battle and skirmish, to witness the reckless bravery which incited equal parts exasperation and admiration in his generals. He wasn't called the Lionheart for nothing. All we can do is keep him alive. An echo of his Crusader past - a motto of the king's guard, oft-repeated in tones of frustration ranging from bemused to surly.

He would be hard put to do this today. Thinking fast, Robin made his dispositions.

"Much and Carter, ride to the east; Guy, you're with us. We'll go west. Don't be seen, any of you – enter on foot. They won't be expecting anyone. We'll work in towards the centre, check all....."

"Wait, Robin." Richard held up a hand. "Listen."

Behind them, from the direction of Acre, riders approached. Cresting the dune behind, Robin saw that it was the gang. Bassam, who had been leading them, halted on the peak. He raised a hand to Robin, then disappeared, returning the way they'd come.

They reined in, wind-blown from the ride: Marian, Little John, Will, Djaq.

"We think Meg is here," Marian said. Then, recalling herself, she slid from the horse and swept her split tunic aside in a curtsy. "Majesty."

The others dismounted; each dropped to one knee.

"We're happy to see you alive and well," she said, including both Robin and Guy in this with a sideways glance.

"If no Saracen blade's seen to it otherwise," the king replied, "I'll be damned if your sheriff manages it."

"I'd give anything to see that he wasn't our sheriff, Sire."

"He won't be, after today. You have my word on that."

Marian nodded, then turned to Robin:

"So, what's the plan?"

He outlined it, adding:

"You four can go from here...Marian, wait. What are you doing?"

He wasn't quick enough. Marian had remounted; Robin lunged but Marian had urged the horse forward out of reach. He scrambled up the peak.

"We don't know how many there are," she called, from the other side. "They'd pick you off one by one...you need a distraction. I'll draw them out....they won't see a lone woman as a threat."

"Marian....."

His shout was lost in her wake. The outlaws scrambled down the dune. Only Guy and the king had made it onto horseback; Richard thundered past them.

Robin smacked Much's shoulder, mad with frustration.

"No, not a threat," he ground out. "Another hostage, yes."

Guy was leading Robin's horse down the dune.

"There goes our element of surprise," muttered Guy.

Grimly, without replying, Robin swung astride. Their mounts leapt forward, charging after Marian and the king, the outlaws gaining their mounts and falling in behind in a ragtag column until Robin's wild over-head gesture told them to split, some to the west, and some to the east.