Chapter Eighteen - Captives

It would be a miracle, Guy thought, if his plan worked.

He'd checked the house in Salah ve Bazri St the day after they arrived, only to find no outlaws there. Alarmed by this, he'd kept an eye out for a go-between, choosing a lad he'd noticed selling dates on their street corner, fixing sandals, hailing camel or horse traders to offer his services – anything, in fact, that would earn him a bit of coin. A lad that enterprising wasn't likely to turn Guy's away, not when all he had to do to earn it was to keep an eye on the house and report back when the newcomers arrived.

"Strangers" had been the one word which had made his eyes light up with recognition. Guy hadn't bothered to try and explain where, he'd simply told Vaisey one day that he was going out and had led the boy to the address which Robin had left for him at the well, that piece of parchment now long destroyed.

This was five days earlier; Guy was beginning now to buckle under the strain.

"They left before us," he reiterated to Meg, his voice barely above a whisper as he paced their bedchamber. "Anything could have happened. You saw it happen with us, supply mules stolen overland, random detours to collect cargo...."

"They'll be here," soothed Meg. "I'm sure of it. Robin has done the journey before, he'll know what to do."

"Not everything will be within his control. And if they don't get here soon....."

Guy stopped pacing. He swiped a hand through his hair, aware of the enormity of the situation he faced. Vaisey had already been to see King Richard, under the pretext of delivering additional taxes Nottingham had gathered. Guy had been left behind without explanation. He knew, of course, that it was because Vaisey had also been delivering the false pact; he couldn't then roll into the king's camp with a "traitor" in tow, not without having him detained on the spot. Which wouldn't have suited Vaisey's purposes at all; oh no, Guy sneered, not when Vaisey had bigger things in store for him.

So, the next day, when he saw the sign scratched on the outer wall - one which he had checked for several times a day - it was all he could do to wait for nightfall in order to slip out undetected and then make his way to the house with the blue door.

It was as well he'd waited. After the evening meal - as they all languished in the heat, Vaisey picking his teeth with sharpened bone - a knock came at the door. The porter entered, admitting a veiled serving girl. She bowed her head, awaiting instruction.

"Yes? Report?" commanded Vaisey.

"My master has guests, from your land."

"He does, does he? How many? Describe them to me."

From the girl's halting description, Guy realised at the same time as the sheriff that this was Robin and his gang. I needn't have bothered with my own spy, he thought ironically.

"But how can that be?" Vaisey snapped. "How can Hood have known we were here?"

Guy swallowed, keeping his face impassive; it was vital he reveal nothing. The sheriff's gaze swung towards him, considering.

"You!" From the corner of his eye he saw Meg startle; Guy sent her a swift glance of caution. But the sheriff's ire was directed elsewhere, at Allan, who was at that moment trying to slink out of the room unnoticed. "Stop him!"

Nasir's hulking companion, Karim, stepped in front of the door, blocking Allan's exit.

"Look, don't blame me," wheedled Allan. "I didn't do it. I don't know how he came to be here."

The sheriff rose and stalked across to him.

"Then you were leaving because?" he purred.

"I knew you'd blame me, didn't wanna stick around for that."