Chapter Ten - Decisions

Marian glared at Robin, her hands placed staunchly on her hips.

"How could you? After all we've been through, to decide just like that – on the strength of one conversation - that you are going back to the Holy Land?" she accused.

"What would you suggest I do?" protested Robin.

The rest of the gang, aware of what was coming, had taken themselves off. Again. They had the barn to themselves.

"At least talk to me about it," she said hotly.

"We're talking now. So, tell me, what would you have me do? The king's life is in danger – he needs to be warned. There's no use sending a messenger, look what happened to Roger of Stokes. It needs to be me."

"Everything doesn't always have to be you, Robin." Marian thought for a few moments. "What about that Crusader who was just here? The one I thought had killed you. He's only been gone a few days, if you know what port he plans to leave from perhaps we could..."

"No. There's another reason I should go. If Vaisey will be there, just think, we'll finally have the chance to be rid of him. Whatever happens to him in the Holy Land is unlikely to bring Prince John's wrath down on Nottingham."

Marian gazed at him in silence, absorbing this thought.

"You plan to kill him?"

"Yes."

"Then I'm coming with you."

"No. It's too dangerous."

"Oh, for God's sake, Robin...then I'm supposed to just sit here while you ride off to save the king and England..."

"Someone needs to stay. To look after the people."

"It's not going to happen," Marian said stubbornly. "I won't be left behind."

Robin stepped towards her, and took hold of her hands.

"Marian, listen to me, please. I can't risk it. I know what it's like over there, and if I had to worry all the time about your safety..."

"So I'm a hindrance...."

"...I didn't say that...it would be different if I could trust you...."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, look at tonight. I asked you to stay out of sight, for your own safety."

"It's true I don't always obey you." Marian shook her hands free. "But then neither do the others. And you trust them – you trust them to be able to make decisions, you respect that they have that right and that ability, and yet you don't give it to me?"

"You ask me to trust you, yet you lied to the gang – to all of us – that day you went into Nottingham."

She turned away; he could hear tears in her voice when she spoke again.

"I can't believe I'm having to explain this, to you of all people. I thought you would understand. But you're smothering me. I thought this would be different. I thought that we would be different to this. That we would be so much better."

The hurt and reproach in those words snagged at his heart. Is she right? Snaking in, the thought troubled him.

"I can't stand it, Robin. If you'd let us be true partners, if you'd let me use my skills to help you.... as it is, I feel I can do less here than I ever could before. It's like I can't move, or breathe, without your say-so. And now this...."

She was crying now, he realised. He moved to hold her, putting his arms about her waist, leaning down to rest his face against her hair. She didn't push him away, but neither did she turn into his embrace.