Turqouise Dress

And so, this story starts in the middle. This is a work of fiction, and everyone knows that absolutely no story starts at the beginning.

Moving on. I'll start with the setting, like every good story has. At the mall, there was a fountain. Sure, there was one outside, but this is the one inside. It was a Friday, sometime after school and a boy went there with his friends. I'm not a fan of this guy, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that there's a girl in particular who likes him.

The boy was walking through this mall, not even actually planning to buy anything. He was at the fountain with his friends, just messing around.

The girl, even though very surprising, didn't catch sight of the boy. She was walking through this mall, going to meet up with her friends.

This was unfortunate, but this girl was passing that fountain. Idiots, boys are. They truly, definitely are. One of the boy's friends ended up shoving him. This particular boy bumped into the girl and she fell into the fountain.

She didn't yell, or even cry for that matter. There wasn't even an embarrassed laugh that escaped her lips. This girl was numb. She didn't know what to do. If I was the one in that situation, in the boy would go as well. But, this girl didn't know how to react.

The boy, charming I bet in her eyes, turned and looked her in the eye. His shaky apology was lined with laughter; music to her ears. His friends were nervously laughing behind him and stared at the girl, drenched by the fountain's water.

He leaned forward, grabbed her wrist with one hand and then supported his pull by putting his hand on the small of her back. Soon enough, she was out of the water.

"I'm really sorry. These guys were being idiots." The boy's words rolled off his tongue melodically.

"I-It's..." She attempted to soothe her stutter by taking a breath, "Okay..." but the word barely left her lips.

"Hey!" A security guard yelled and began to stomp towards them.

"Oh crap." The boy chuckled.

The boys were yelled at by the security guard but they weren't kicked out, which would have been nice. Well, if they did, this story wouldn't move forward.

The girl was gingerly handed a handkerchief by the guard which really didn't help much, but it was a start. Luckily, her friends came to her rescue. After half teasing her and half worrying over her, they decided to pitch in and bought her some new clothes. It wasn't her taste, they knew, but at least the color was right. It was a dress. A cheap dress they found on a sale's rack. The dress was turquoise and lacy and reached just above her knee.

"Boys will be boys." One of her friends remarked and they made their way through the mall.

Just to her luck, the girl spotted the boy and froze again. This time, she was greeted properly after being momentarily stared at. Her friends took that moment to slip away and left them alone. Yeah, you could call it betrayal.  The boy was apparently wandering by himself at that point.

Sorry, this is probably going nowhere, but be patient. Continuing further, the boy and the girl ended up getting along quite well. He laughed at her ridiculous puns that she told him when she didn't know what else to say. The girl admired his athletic ability. Whatever, it couldn't even be love...could it?