PROLUGUE

• Dedicated kay Karenpey Perez

The rain’s been pouring so hard since last night. Summer rain, actually. The weather is so unpredictable … just like my feelings.

Candice Aimee R.  De Silva. Catch that name. One hell of a fighter, never the loser. They say resilient is my middle name. I, at least, can agree to the people saying that. I always have that long lashes, brunette hair and to fall for smile.

I don’t do love. Really! I’m too occupied with a lot of things para magka-time pa diyan. But I feel lucky naman to have nice people in my life. I have these two awesome best friends named Sheila and Bea. I have a big brother na sobra kung protektahan ako. Parents na workaholic just to provide our needs, by the way they’re living in the US because of business matters. And a lot of noisy classmates at West Valley University.

Next academic year will be my last year in college though I am not sure whether I’ll be graduating or not. So guys I need you to pray for me and my diploma.

What else? As I said I don’t do love. NBSB here. And I was never ashamed of that.

“You know what C, why don’t you date? I mean we’re never getting younger. Isang taon na lang graduate na tayo. You’re so beautiful kaya.” Sheila said, she’s silent but when she talks palagi siyang may point.

“I so agree with you S. Ewan ko ba sa kaibigan nating ‘to. May phobia sa boys.” pag-agree naman ni Bea, ang super fashion-conscious sa’ming tatlo.

“You know what girls, I don’t do love hastily. May tamang oras para diyan. Alam niyo naman na when you finally enter in a relationship it will require you to open yourself to the other person. And I am not ready for that.” mabilis na sagot ko sa kanila.

I am always like that. True, I am afraid to share something about me. Feeling ko kasi lahat ng lalaking makikilala ko will just take me for granted and then betrayal will come next. Call me irrational, I don’t care. You know what they say? Prevention is the best cure.

This is me. I know I’m hard-headed. I do all things according to reasons. But there is something inside of me that want to escape from the wall I have built. I am frightened to the things that lie outside my domain. But what if it will be worth the try?

“Ok S and B, stop looking at me like that. Sige na, pumapayag na’ko. I’ll date a few. And if someone got my attention, that nobody has ever done yet, then call! I will have a love life. Happy girls?” sabi ko with my hands gesturing as if I’m surrendering to them.

Ok. This is legit, this summer I want to fall in love.