Chapter 3 - Back Against The Wall

One week. That’s how long it took him to reunite all his guts to see me. I’ve never imagine it will be him driving me to Bea’s sister’s sort of ‘welcome home’ party. Have you noticed I didn’t say the word ‘homecoming’? Oh I think I just did. But anyways, he still gives me creeps. Not the scary alarming creepy, but the one that will turn you upside down dopey.

A while ago at my doorsteps, he was smiling holding a bouquet of pink roses. Though I don’t really know what pink roses do imply. He asked if that can cure my fury. Heck, big no! I’ve been waiting for him … for who knows how long?

“So are we going to just stare at each other? I’m waiting to be invited in and be entertained as guest. We still have, I think, 30 minutes to chit-chat … Candice!”

“So what are you now? A vampire that needed to be invited in? Come in! So what are you doing here Rohan? Last time I checked, you didn’t even call or even just send a text message for the past week? Are we playing a game like high-schoolers do? Hindi na tayo teenagers, may I remind you. ”

“Girls really have tons of questions. Okay I’m here because I heard you don’t have a driver or chaperone or maybe an escort to this party you’ll attending. I don’t know what do you need now but I’m willing to be all of those.”

“Are you my stalker now? How’d you know?”

“I have my ways Candice.”

This guy really is making me feel curious. After what he said last time, who’ll not? By the way, it keeps replaying on my mind. And hindi ko alam when to push the stop button.

“But that was a good one. I like it. By the way, stop blushing Candice. It makes me want to kiss you.”

Kiss his ass! But I do appreciate the effort of him showing at my convenience. At least I got someone to drive me now.

“How convenient on my part. Thanks to your ways! I think we need to go. Mali-late na tayo. Bea hates late.”

The party was not the usual welcoming someone home party. It looks like someone’s going to tie the knots tonight. Or a proposal or a pre-nuptial or whatever that involves two souls waiting to say ‘I do” in front of a priest. Overthinking skills, one thing about me.

“I’m done being driver. Does that mean I can be the other one too or maybe both?”

“Whatever! Your suit will be a waste if I tell you to go home. Come, ipapakilala kita sa friends ko. But don’t get too clingy!”

“Ok. I don’t intend to be in the first place. I’m just being clingy to you.”

Whatever! Yes, I mean whatever! Where’s the heck my friends are? I scan the whole area. Until my eyes set on a familiar back. But never mind. Maybe some high school person I used to bump with. Bigla namang nawala sa paningin ko si Rohan. Ugh, that guy has nerves. Sabit ko lang kaya siya dito tapos pumarty na agad?

At last I saw Sheila … with Nate? Wait, she knew Nate? That Nathaniel Cruz?

“Hey C! You’re a bit late. Bea’s been ranting. Alam mo naman kung paano tumakbo ang utak ng babaeng yun. By the way, this is Nate. Nate meet my friend, Candice!”

I just gave him a ‘what are you doing here’ look, which I believe he cracked up.

“Hi. I’m Nate, Sheila’s soon-to-be boyfriend. Nice meeting you Candice! You look familiar, by the way.”

Oh c’mon, are we playing we don’t know each other game now? But I think this is all better. No more going back to old painful memories.

“What? Sheila, hindi mo to sa’kin sinabi? Kailan pa?”