Just Everyday Things

Aries

Two months married. As of today, at least. I'm laying in bed, Soleis sleeping peacefully next to me. By next to me, I mean on top of me. She had fallen asleep next to me last night, but when I woke up, she was sleeping on top of me, her legs straddled over my hips. I didn't want to move, of course, and wake her. When she's asleep, she's an angel, but if you wake her up without a purpose, she becomes a devil.

I love her, but I don't want to be dead meat.

I lay there, stroking her hair as her chest rises and falls against mine. I feel her start moving around, and she opens her eyes slowly. As she takes in the situation and looks at me, her face becomes pink. She buries herself into my chest, and I smile.

"Good morning," I say, rubbing her back. She groans and rolls off of me, but lets her legs stay on top of my hips. She sighs loudly and looks back over at me.

"Good morning," she sits up next to me and I do the same, pulling her into a hug. She leans into me.

"You're so warm. How do you do that?" She looks up at me and I smile.

"Magic." I kiss her nose and she smiles back up at me. I get up from the bed and walk down the hallway towards the kitchen. I hear Soleis get up and walk behind me, the floorboards in the hallway creaking. Soleis comes up behind me, wrapping her arms around my waist. I smile to myself, and turn around, wrapping my arms around Soleis' smaller form. I pick her up and she presses her head into my shoulder. 

I walk into the kitchen, still holding Soleis, and set her on the counter. I grab fruit and almond milk out of the fridge, to start making us smoothies for breakfast. Out of the corner of my eyes, I see Soleis reach into my purse and pull out my pack of gum. She takes the last piece out and unwraps it, promptly popping it into her mouth. I scowl; that gum was my favourite flavour. I walk over to her, disregarding the smoothie, and quickly wrap my arms around her and kiss her hard on the lips. She's surprised, but wraps her arms around my neck and enjoys my sudden affection. What she doesn't know is that I'm trying to steal the gum back out of her mouth before the flavour is gone.

I can taste it in her breath, my favourite flavour, and I kiss her deeply, trying hard to get the gum out of her mouth and into mine. She's caught off guard, so it's relatively easy to steal it, but once it's gone, and I separate from her, she's mad. I triumphantly chew the gum, and she scowls at me, sticking out her tongue. I smirk, flashing the green gum. She rolls her eyes.

"You could've just asked for it."

"Yeah, but then it wouldn't taste as good."

"Why does it taste different?"

"Because you already chewed it, and it tastes like victory." She rolls her eyes but smiles at me nonetheless.

"You need help." I shrug and walk back over to her and wrap my arms around her waist.

"You think I don't know that?" She wraps her arms around my neck and leans her forehead against mine. I stare into her eyes for a moment, and then kiss her nose, walking back over to the blender to finish our smoothies. As I work, I hear Soleis humming a familiar tune, the concerto that got her the job she has today. I smile, and when I turn on the blender, the sound drowned out. I frown but continue to make our breakfast.

I reach into the cupboard and extract a bag of bagels. I look over at Soleis and she nods. I get two from the bag and pop them into the toast-maker, so they're ready when the smoothies are.

A few minutes later, we're eating on the couch, leaning against each other in the bright light of morning. Soleis is pressed into my side, and my arm is draped around her shoulders. We sat silently, as always, and enjoy the other's company.