Chapter 10

CAMILAS POV

JUNE 20TH

14 MONTHS AND 13 DAYS LET

'Good morning babe,' I say to Lauren as she passes me in the corridor on the way to the bathrooms. In a dull place like this there aren't many things that repeatedly succeed to enlighten my mood, but Laurens morning face never fails. Her puffy and flushed cheeks mixed with her under eyes covered in cheap commissary mascara makes the premises of a cute morning face.

'Morning sunny,' she says while laying her hand on my but and kissing my cheek.

'Sunny' is the new nickname she gave me. She said it reflected my 'bright' personality. But the fact that she got sick of calling me by number for a month must have been a contributing factor.

My 'cloud nine' state of mind quickly shifts into a cautious state when I see everyone we pass is looking at me.

'I knew you were hot, but this is excessive,' Lauren jokes.

I decide not to say anything, as I'm not sure what's going on nor do I want to know. As we enter the bathroom I hear my name drop numerous times. I keep my head down to avoid the scary unknown. After practically standing in line, shivering for five minutes I get in a stall as fast as possible and slide the metal cylinder into the hole. Once again I take Orange is the new black as an example for what could possibly be going on. But out of fear I can't recollect. As I open the stall the taunting words, 'where is that cunt' echo through the building. I look at Lauren who's standing in line for the showers holding a spot for, of course, herself and me. Not that the other inmates allow me to cut the line, but Lauren never gives up trying.

'Cabello!' a loud and threatening yet familiar voice sounds. Floresca storms the room. Part of my tense state of mind softens seeing as last time I checked we had a pretty tight alliance. I couldn't think of anything that could possibly make her mad.

'You fucking lying, scheming, traitorous, back stabbing cunt!' Floresca yells while pushing me against the sink.

Around me I hear inmates riling up. My ear drums fill up with loud cheers and whoops. Seeing as I'm not a person who can stand big, chaotic crowds, I panic and turn to Lauren. Who, to my surprise, turns around and walks of. When the only comforting factor walks away I feel my eyes watering. Though my dark skies turn a little lighter when a female guard comes running in and restraining Floresca. But to my surprise, all that is on my mind is; where is Lauren?

'What was that all about?' I ask as we sit down for breakfast.

'What was what about? In the bathroom?' she asks, I nod. 'I don't know, it's terrifying though, should I go ask around pretending I don't know you?' Lauren asks.

'Everybody knows you know me and that was not what I was talking about. I was talking about how you totally left me in the dark in there.'

'Babe, you are too vulnerable, you are an easy target that way. You can't come running, crying, to your girlfriend after one shoulder push. It portrays you as a weak link, and will people make alliances with weak people? No. I was just looking out for my girl,' Lauren says.

'Point one, where do you get all this knowledge? Did you read the prison for dummies book or something?' I laugh.

'You are just naive, this in common knowledge. Though if that book exists you might want to consider getting it, it would be a wise investment,' Lauren chuckles.

'Totally not the point. Point two,' I say trying to continue the conversation. 'Your girl?' I smile expecting her to confirm my title.

Lauren's face turns a light shade of red, 'yeah you are of the female sex aren't you?' Lauren says, trying to avoid confrontation. I give Lauren my you know what I mean face. While stuffing my face with the new cornflakes my parents are sponsoring.