Chapter 5

Quick note: I made this chapter with the intention of shedding a little light on the boys' current thoughts and opinion of Melanie. Enjoy!

The boys just stood there for a while trying to make sense of the resent happenings of the short hour that that girl was there.

Malcolm was the first to speak, “Did you understand that?” he asked pointing to the girl who was no long present but Reese didn’t say anything. “Reese!” Malcolm barks to his brother shaking him by the arm.

“No, and what the hell were you doing?”

Malcolm shrugged, “What do you mean, doing what?” The taller spiky haired boy dropped his supplies next to their window and sat on the edge of his bed. “I come in here and you are two inches from locking lips with her!”

“No I wasn’t!” Malcolm protested shaking his head in defiance. He squinted his eyes at Reese having some questions of his own. “Don’t be asking about me. What is going on between you two?”

He shrugged, “Nothing. She is just some stupid girl who is way too happy. No girl is that happy that much of the time,” He continued and Malcolm listened, “Today I stole her book right out of her hands and all she did was smile Like it had no effect on her.” Reese clenched his fists, irritation boiling within him as he remembered the encounter. “She tried making me angry by calling me dumb but I didn’t let that bother me.” He lied showing his brother he was better than that Melanie.

Malcolm stood up analyzing the situation. “Okay so what do we know, Melanie moved here last summer. She goes to our school, she is smart, seemingly very impulsive.” Malcolm said pacing back and forth across the room. “And really hot.” Reese added. His brother nodded in agreement.

“She doesn’t seem to like us but she doesn’t seem to not like us.” Reese spoke again, “Yeah since she is always sitting out side so we can watch her.” Malcolm shook his head at his brother knowing that was not true at all. But he did wonder if Melanie did in fact actually have a thing for either of them because he certainly knew he had a thing for her. He sighed, then it hit him; an epiphany.

He sat on the side of his own bed really excited hitting his brothers leg getting his attention.

“Remember Jessica use to try and trick us into doing things indirectly?” Reese nodded laughing. “I remember she convinced you that she liked you so you would break up with that dumb blonde girl, Stacy.” Malcolm shook his head avoiding his brothers idiocy.

“That doesn’t matter. But what if Melanie is trying to do the same thing? What if she is just trying to get into our heads.”

“So… we have to beat her at her own stupid mind game”

The curly brown haired teen nodded agreeing with his older brother. “Absolutely. Also we can’t fall for her smooth talk, charm and, seductive looks” Malcolm closed his eyes hearig her accepting voice in his mind but soon shook the thoughts away, realizing he had almost kissed the beautiful brunette. That wouldn’t happen again. Melanie the enigma from across the road; she was sweet, and didn’t care if he was the most unpopular boy at school, next to his brother, of course. Regardless of his slight fuzzy feelings for her he wasn’t going to let her win the silent war against them.

“Well, I won’t have any problems with that.” Reese arrogantly spoke but Malcolm wasn’t so sure, he saw the way he looked at Melanie at times.

“Malcolm!” Their mother’s scratchy voice rang into the air making the boys cringe. “In here”

“Malcolm why did your little girlfriend leave so soon she just got here.”

“She is not Malcolm’s girlfriend!” Reese stressed shocking the others.

“Be quiet Reese, of course she is. Now Malcolm tomorrow you will invite that sweet girl over for dinner” Louis told her middle son.

The blue eyed teen swallowed hard his nerves getting the better of him. It took everything he had to ask Melanie to come over that night now he was suppose to eat in front of her.

“Yeah sure.” He simply said as his mother left their room holding Jamie in her arms.

Reese grabbed his brother’s shoulder with an idea. “Hey this is perfect. All we have to do is pull a prank on Melanie and she will crumble to her knees.” Reese spoke with an evil tone to his voice. Malcolm knew that whatever his older brother was planning was not going end well.